Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How hard of a job is it to change the fuel filter in my 01. I know its near the passenger rear tire but is there much more involved other than just taking the old one out and putting a new one in.

·
Premium Member
7,048 Posts
Not really. Relieving fuel pressure helps not get gasoline everywhere, but it's not necessary. To relieve the pressure, unplug the inertia switch in the passenger side of the trunk behind the carpet and let the car run until it dies.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you just push the button in the trunk will that temporarily shut down the fuel pump so I can relieve the fuel pressure in the lines.

·
Registered
834 Posts
I believe that's how the Hayne's manual says to relieve the pressure... I just unplugged mine tho... I tried pressing the button, but it wouldn't go down...nearly busted my thumb trying

·
Premium Member
7,306 Posts
The fuel filter is under the right rear door kinda above the rocker panel. If you jack up the corner (and jackstand) or put something under the wheel you can look up in and see it.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Any auto parts store should carry fuel filters....sometimes the filter will come with replacement clips for the fuel line...sometimes they don't...everytime I've bought a filter and it didn't come with clips, I just asked the guy behind the counter if the filter usually comes with them...and they usually just give them to me.

Wear eye protection when you do this too....even after relieving the pressure in the lines, gas shoots out of the filter when you pull the first line off...got it in both my eyes once...burns like hell for a minute....

·
Registered
116 Posts
Just a thought. But since the filter is connected inline with the gas tank. Will I have to worry about changing it on an incline? My drive way is on a slight incline. With the front of the car lower than the back. Would fuel drain outa my tank once I remove the filter?

Should I reverse in so the tail end is lower than the front?

·
Registered
834 Posts
I don't think the gas will come rushing out the line. You'll probably have a little dribble come out...you know...pretty much whatever was trapped between the tank and filter. You'd have to build up pressure to get the stuff from the tank to come out...i don't think gravity alone is gonna do it.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I changed my fuel filter today. It was a purolator from advance auto parts for about $14. I wrote a section about it in the wiki maintenence section.
There was a much better response at WOT.

·
Registered
834 Posts
I changed my fuel filter today. It was a purolator from advance auto parts for about $14. I wrote a section about it in the wiki maintenence section.
There was a much better response at WOT.
[/b]
I just read a write up in the wiki maintenance section Called "Gen 3 & 4 Fuel Filter Replacement". Is that your write up??? If it is...I have a question...You write...

"CAREFULLY remove the plastic clips holding the three fuel lines on"...and..."The first line you should remove is the one closest to the front of the car. The lines just pry off. After taking the two other lines off, you are ready to attatch your new filter."

I've haven't seen a filter with 3 lines attached to it before....yours does?? I know my Gen 4 (2004) doesn't. :eek:

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well for that body style taurus, On one side of the cylinder shaped filter you have one place for a fuel line. On the other side of the filter there are two spots for fuel line connections. If you notice any mistakes in my wiki write up or have any ways to improve it then by all means feel free.

·
Registered
834 Posts
I'm more curious than anything...got any pics of that? perhaps it couldn't hurt making a note that not all gen 3 & 4's have 3 lines attached at the filter...someone might appreciate it.

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
The returnless fuel systems use a three line fuel filter. The FFVs use two lines with two different sizes assuming they are not the returnless type. The not returnless, not FFV type have two of the same size fuel line fittings.

Any one need return type FFV filters I have some for the cheap.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
:eek: Oh my gosh I am sorry I did not realize that this body style had different filters. I watched a video on youtube of a guy changing his gen 3 and it looked the same so I assumed that they were all the same. I am very sorry for the confusion.

·
Registered
2 Posts
:eek: Oh my gosh I am sorry I did not realize that this body style had different filters. I watched a video on youtube of a guy changing his gen 3 and it looked the same so I assumed that they were all the same. I am very sorry for the confusion.
[/b]
we got lucky enuf as 01 owners to have a one of a kind filter lol

1 - 20 of 23 Posts