Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, i have a 2003 Taurus SES. I need to change my fuel filter, this seems like a stupid question. it seems like a relatively easy procedure, before i go and look at it, is there anything i should know about removing and replacing Fuel Filters?

Thanks in advance. :ford:

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
So, i have a 2003 Taurus SES. I need to change my fuel filter, this seems like a stupid question. it seems like a relatively easy procedure, before i go and look at it, is there anything i should know about removing and replacing Fuel Filters?

Thanks in advance. :ford:
[/b]
I assume you know it is around the passenger side rear door.

Only thing to know is relieve the pressure in the system by pressin gthe valve on the fuel rail with a towel or disconnect the inertia switch and run the car until it dies.

There are clips, make sure you get new, I believe they come in the box with the new filter, but they break easily so be ready with replacements.

I think that is it. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
On my 2003 and 2005,

It has 3 clips. 1 on one side, and 2 on the other side. The lone clip is the conventional C-type. You can carefully push the clip out by pushing on the legs. (Do not pull out from the other end.) The 2-clip side can be a pain in the neck, if you don't know what you are doing. If I remember correctly, both are C-type and the "legs" interlock inside. It's impossible to remove these without breaking one.

This is what I would recommend. Get a replacement clip from dealer for $3. They sell only one of the 2 interlocking clips. This is the one you can break (you must break this) and remove in 2 pieces. Afterward, carefully remove the other.

The clips that come with the fuel filter are not the right one. Their "legs" are shorter and will not work on our cars.

EDIT: I bought replacement fuel filter from AutoZone. Check if Ford dealer sells filter with right clips. And please let me know, because I have yet to replace fuel filter on my 2003. ):

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alright, seems easy enough. Thanks a lot for all the help guys, i plan on doing it before the end of the month. i'm thinking that i will be going to a dealer to get the filter then, there werent a whole lot of choices online, since they're usually always cheaper. Theres a Fram Filter on rock auto for $15. but im just not sure. so ill just go to the dealer. Thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Try not to break the clips. I broke both on my 04 wagon and had to get them at the stealership. $8.00 each! For some reason mine were different then the ones sold at the 8 autoparts stores that I checked. The motorcraft filter does not come with clips.

·
Premium Member
1,318 Posts
I bought a Motorcraft filter at Advance Auto Parts when I changed my filter and it came with new clips. You're almost guaranteed to break at least one of the old ones when pulling them out, and you will weaken them even if you don't break them.

·
Registered
340 Posts
My 2000 Vulcan fuel filter has just two clips. Autozone could not find a fuel filter for my car just by looking it up, but when they entered the MotorCraft part # it brought up their equivalent which did come with two clips that fit perfectly. Probably goes without saying but be sure to orient it with the flow in the proper direction.

Scott

·
Premium Member
1,318 Posts
My 2000 Vulcan fuel filter has just two clips. Autozone could not find a fuel filter for my car just by looking it up, but when they entered the MotorCraft part # it brought up their equivalent which did come with two clips that fit perfectly. Probably goes without saying but be sure to orient it with the flow in the proper direction.

Scott
[/b]
There is a small metal lip that should prevent people from putting it on backwards. Of course, they could still force it up there.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Alright, seems easy enough. Thanks a lot for all the help guys, i plan on doing it before the end of the month. i'm thinking that i will be going to a dealer to get the filter then, there werent a whole lot of choices online, since they're usually always cheaper. Theres a Fram Filter on rock auto for $15. but im just not sure. so ill just go to the dealer. Thanks for all the help.
[/b]
You can get Motorcraft filters from Wal Mart.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I got mine from AutoZone too...broke both clips when removing, new ones did not fit...I used small tie wraps and threaded them into the spaces where the clips went...I'll just need to cut them out when I replace it next time.

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
Wal-Mart does not sell Motorcraft fuel filters...just the oil filters. FWIW, they don't carry any fuel filter for at least the '01-'03 Vulcan. :dunno:

I believe the 2003 is the same as my 2001. The clips are sold in the Help section of any parts store...look for a yellow package labeled "Ford Fuel Filter Clips." It'll have six in it, two different sizes with three of each. You'll need the three white ones, IIRC. The last three filters I've bought from Autozone (two for my Taurus and one for the ZX2) did not include clips. If you get a nice parts counter person, they might throw them in for free if you ask.

2004-2007 has different clips and are not interchangeable.

Usually you can push the "legs" of the clip out, but if not, just break the top off and push what's left out and use a new clip.

It's really simple...you'll see how easy it is when you get under there. :)

·
Registered
166 Posts
and I agree those clips break easily.

I didn't break mine but I cracked it. It still works but the next I change it I know I'll have to get a new one.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts