Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Re: 2005 Taurus V6, 3.0L Wagon

I will be changing a fuel filter using low profile poly ramps. I do not know the filter location and :salute: would like to know if I will have problems getting to it.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Read on an earlier post that it is located near one of the rear doors; underneath the car of course; o)

Please post again when you complete the job. Any details you can share will be appreciated. I may attempt that repair myself so I for one would benefit from your learning curve. Hopefully, a simple task.

I did read somewhere that the fuel line is always under pressure... so the does one have to clamp the line somehow prior to removing the filter?.......Will gas come spewing out if one doesn't do so?

·
Registered
946 Posts
Read on an earlier post that it is located near one of the rear doors; underneath the car of course; o)

Please post again when you complete the job. Any details you can share will be appreciated. I may attempt that repair myself so I for one would benefit from your learning curve. Hopefully, a simple task.

I did read somewhere that the fuel line is always under pressure... so the does one have to clamp the line somehow prior to removing the filter?.......Will gas come spewing out if one doesn't do so?
[/b]

You want to drive up on the ramps backwards or park your car vertical to a ditch so that your right rear tire is just before the ditch and your right rear window (the small ovalish one) is just above the ditch. Either one of those ways will give you EASY access.

The fuel filter is located under the passenger side rear door. Before you change it, start your car and let it run. As it is running, hit the emergency fuel shut off switch in the trunk. Let it putter out. Now, change your filter. Get a pan or bucket under there with you. There are 2 plastic clips that hold it on. You should have received new ones with your filter. If you did not, DO NOT proceede until you have a new set. Do not reuse old plastic stuff - lesson learned. If you have them, pull off the old ones and disconnect one line at a time. Keep your pan or bucket undere the filter during this time as fuel will spill out. WARNING - DO NOT LAY UNDER AND LOOK UP AT THE FILTER AS YOU REMOVE THE TUBES OR THE FILTER!!!! Remove your last line and drop your used filter into the bucket/pan. Install your new filter - NOTE PLEASE PAY ATTENTION TO THE FLOW ARROWS ON THE NEW FILTER - replace each line and install the new clips. Reset the fuel filter switch and start the car. It might take a couple of seconds to start back up or a couple of cranks. After that, you are set!

Enjoy.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You want to drive up on the ramps backwards or park your car vertical to a ditch so that your right rear tire is just before the ditch and your right rear window (the small ovalish one) is just above the ditch. Either one of those ways will give you EASY access.

The fuel filter is located under the passenger side rear door. Before you change it, start your car and let it run. As it is running, hit the emergency fuel shut off switch in the trunk. Let it putter out. Now, change your filter. Get a pan or bucket under there with you. There are 2 plastic clips that hold it on. You should have received new ones with your filter. If you did not, DO NOT proceede until you have a new set. Do not reuse old plastic stuff - lesson learned. If you have them, pull off the old ones and disconnect one line at a time. Keep your pan or bucket undere the filter during this time as fuel will spill out. WARNING - DO NOT LAY UNDER AND LOOK UP AT THE FILTER AS YOU REMOVE THE TUBES OR THE FILTER!!!! Remove your last line and drop your used filter into the bucket/pan. Install your new filter - NOTE PLEASE PAY ATTENTION TO THE FLOW ARROWS ON THE NEW FILTER - replace each line and install the new clips. Reset the fuel filter switch and start the car. It might take a couple of seconds to start back up or a couple of cranks. After that, you are set!

Enjoy.
[/quote]

I will do this within the next month, but it's a friend's car, not mine. I have an F150 V6, and have a tool that disconnects the locking spring in the fuel filter. I know I should disconnect the fuel pump fuse and run system dry but so far, I think five fuel filters, I leave truck on ramps overnite in driveway, and then crack open gas cap and proceed to loosen one side of filter. Some gas, yes, got it in my eyes once..will probably do it the correct way next time. I changed oil in 05 Taurus for gf and looked for fuel filter and did not see one. Reason is, I looked on driver's side and now know it's under rear door, passenger's side. I thank you all for such good advice. :chili:

. There are 2 plastic clips that hold it on. You should have received new ones with your filter. If you did not, DO NOT proceede until you have a new set. Do not reuse old plastic stuff - lesson learned. If you have them, pull off the old ones and disconnect one line at a time. Keep your pan or bucket undere the filter
Enjoy.
[/quote]

I do not have the fuel filter yet, Wix 33097, but not sure about these clips. I have clips on my F150 that pull down to access filter and then swing up into place when installation is complete. Is the Taurus line/filter connection different.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Thanks for the info, DrinkMore.

I located the fuel cutoff switch in the trunk.......never even noticed the damn thing before. ;o)

A little red button, push it down once to shut off/close, push it down again to turn it back on/open?

I don't want to shut off the fuel supply without being sure how to turn it back on. ;o)

·
Premium Member
7,050 Posts
Smack it with a screwdriver. The button will pop up- fuel is cut off

Push the button back down.- Fuel is back on

·
Registered
134 Posts
I changed mine with an AutoZone replacement part. After getting the factory clips out, and breaking one, I noticed the new ones that came with the new filter were the WRONG SIZE!!! Autozone checked all of the other "Duralast" filters, and double checked part #s, but it was oviously the wrong ones. (MY car is a 02 SEL 'tec)

The WIX filter may give you better luck, and it is worth the extra money over the aggrivation. I re-used the factory clips (no choice there) and used a standard 3/4 inch screw type climp over the clips to keep them from falling out.

Bottom line, check the clips that come with your replacement and make sure they are the same, especially if using Auto Zone part!!!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
Last two times I bought fuel filters at Autozone, they didn't come with clips. I just asked the guy at the counter and they gave them to me.

I'll get a pic of the G4 fuel filter later today...it's really easy to see how to do it by looking at it.

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
You can also disconnect the wiring harness from the inertia switch, rather than using the button. It's easier to do, and you don't need to worry about that stupid button.

On a similar note, if you ever want to mess with a Taurus owner, just hit the inside of the trunk, near the inertia switch, with the heel of your hand. It will pop the switch, and cause them to not be able to start their car until they figure it out.

JR

·
Registered
59 Posts
The fuel system loses pressure fairly quickly at the filter once the ignition is turned off. I seem to be the only one who does not bleed the pressure before removing the filter. Never had any pressure in filter in about 10 filter changes on 4 different Fords using the same filter arrangement as the Taurus.

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
I just pulled the fuel pump fuse under the hood and started the car.

I took a picture of the filter, but it doesn't show a whole lot. If I think of it I'll get a better one in the next day or two if it doesn't snow :angryfire:

·
Registered
606 Posts
Can't empasize enough how important the plastic clips are. I reused one old one and filed one to fit that came with the new filter. (part store ones are usually too large). The pressure line popped off while driving on the freeway and I was stuck until I saw the puddle of gas on the ground under the filter area.
Ford dealership has the correct clips but charge nearly $10 ea for them.

·
Registered
355 Posts
FYI to anyone thinking of replacing the fuel filter: I recommend you avoid FRAM.

My sister's '96 Bull needed a new filter after less than 2 years and 11,000 miles due to a canister leak. This prompted me to look at the filter on my '99 which had been on for about the same time and mileage and although it wasn't leaking (yet) it was heavily rusted. Both were FRAMs. Just for grins I checked the Motorcraft filter on my Marauder and it was fine after 2½ years and 25,000 miles. I replaced it just because it was due.

I will never use FRAM fuel filters again...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Replace Fuel filter 2002 Taurus duretec

Just replace my fuel filter. Duralast from Autozone. As posted previously the retaining clips were too large. So what I did was dremel tool them smaller so the would fit into the obviously smaller opening. They seemed a little loose when they were in place so just to be sure of no slipping I managed to sneak a small wire tie in the opening to keep the clip tight against the tube. May have been fine without the wire tie but I wanted to be sure that it wasn't going to pop out.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.