Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have about 700kms before I plan on doing an oil change at 170k kms, on my 2013 FPIS. I am wondering if it worth changing the fuel filter at the same time. If anyone has changed one please let me know a price and how difficult it would be to do this. I am for sure using a Ford oil filter and would like to use a Ford fuel filter. If it is too difficult or to expensive I wont. Thanks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The owner's manual says the 2013 Taurus "is equipped with a lifetime fuel filter that is integrated with the fuel tank. Regular maintenance or replacement is not needed".

·
Registered
92 Posts
From what I understand , one can take out the FP & change the filter? Correct me if I'm wrong. But from what I have read it's possible, but a major PITA to remove the fuel pump, on most vehicles that don't have an access plate to the in tank fuel pump, like our Taurus'. On Y/T , Scotty Kilmer says most FFs are replaceable, but most are in the fuel tank, on current vehicles, so it's very difficult to do. I always wondered if an auxiliary inline filter can be successfully "plumbed" into the fuel line on these modern cars, to filter out debris in gas , on its way to the injectors? I know they have to withstand at least 60 psi on non DI vehicles, like the 6th generation Taurus N/A 3.5s.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Are you saying the Taurus' have access to the pump w/o dropping the tank?
AFAIK, no, the 6th gen Taurus does not have an access plate to take out the F/P? I never looked seriously into this , so someone out there may know for sure? A lot of vehicles did have a F/P access plate , like the last model Pontiac GP. Some vehicles had detailed instructions on a how to do, to cut your own access hole to get to the in tank electric F/P, & then how to install a plate to cover that hole. Did that , on a Camaro/Firebird 5th gen, the model before the latest Camaro. Very detailed instructions were on the Camaro/Firebird forum. I gave the print out of those instructions , that saved probably 10 hours of labor time to a few mechanics , who owned professional shops , they all said it was very detailed & good instructions that saved them an enormous amount of time & labor.

So far , I don't know of anyone who's done this on a Cyclone engine equipped FWD vehicle, either a fuel pump R&R or an access plate cut out. So I think a fuel tank drop is necessary?

Sorry for the confusion.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts