Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good evening. My 03 Taurus SE (vin U) smells of raw gas and I mean STRONG! I first noticed around mid summer but like a lot of us knuckle heads, I shrugged it off and blamed it on the gas cap.

About a month ago the check engine and gas cap light lit up on me mid way to work. Oriley's plugged in the OBDII and it read gross fuel leak (not exact wording). We agreed it was probably my gas cap so I bought a new one and off I went.

Two days later the gas cap light lit up again and stayed on to this day. I decided to get some uv dye and what happens. Well I discover the source of the problem is the inlet connector to the fuel filter.

Finally the question...

Is it possible the connetor is leaking and need replacing or is it caused by the filter? Thanks!

·
Registered
6,640 Posts
I found that if you do not change the filter in a long time that it will develop a leak at the filter inlet. However I doubt it is the source of your code. But you need to change the filter anyway.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I found that if you do not change the filter in a long time that it will develop a leak at the filter inlet. However I doubt it is the source of your code. But you need to change the filter anyway.

Thanks. So changing the filter will more than likely fix the leak? I was also thinking about the filler neck throwing the code. I'll have to dig deeper with the uv light. Didn't wanna, but I gotta. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
7,793 Posts
There is no code for a "fuel leak"!!! You likely got a code for the EVAP system unable to put a vacuum on the gas tank, which has nothing to do with any fuel leak. Gross leak is often a rotted fuel filler pipe, leaking gas cap, failed EVAP solenoid, or damaged / rotted EVAP hose. Use ONLY the correct Motorcraft cap for your car, not some off brand POS from the discount parts store.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There is no code for a "fuel leak"!!! You likely got a code for the EVAP system unable to put a vacuum on the gas tank, which has nothing to do with any fuel leak. Gross leak is often a rotted fuel filler pipe, leaking gas cap, failed EVAP solenoid, or damaged / rotted EVAP hose. Use ONLY the correct Motorcraft cap for your car, not some off brand POS from the discount parts store.

Thanks Jeff!! That's exactly what's on my car right now, a $14 POS crap cap from Oriley's. I'll take care that right now!

·
Registered
28 Posts
My brother (has 4 Bull’s this Generation’s) has found on top of gas tank hose connectors the plastic out of the 90 connector splits at the seam. (Weeps gas = smell.) On those that haven’t split (inspection when he dropped tank to change fuel pump) he wraps with a mix of dental floss & epoxies the 2” of plastic tube before it changes to rubber hose. He looked for a long time for that gas smell possibly yours the same?

just a thought.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My brother (has 4 Bull’s this Generation’s) has found on top of gas tank hose connectors the plastic out of the 90 connector splits at the seam. (Weeps gas = smell.) On those that haven’t split (inspection when he dropped tank to change fuel pump) he wraps with a mix of dental floss & epoxies the 2” of plastic tube before it changes to rubber hose. He looked for a long time for that gas smell possibly yours the same?

just a thought.

Thanks Mikes. As of today I haven't discovered the problem. I'm this close to doing a smoke test. I really didn't want to drop that tank unless I had to but I'll never know until I do. Thanks for the advice I'm pretty sure that is where my pain is coming from.

·
Super Moderator
7,793 Posts
Assuming the tank isnt full of fuel dropping the tank is pretty easy. If full of fuel, get a bunch of gas cans, disconnect the fuel filter outlet (side going to the engine), put a few few feet of 1/4" ID fuel line on the filter bung, hotwire the fuel pump, and pump the gas out into the gas cans. I have done this several times over the years with great success.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Assuming the tank isnt full of fuel dropping the tank is pretty easy. If full of fuel, get a bunch of gas cans, disconnect the fuel filter outlet (side going to the engine), put a few few feet of 1/4" ID fuel line on the filter bung, hotwire the fuel pump, and pump the gas out into the gas cans. I have done this several times over the years with great success.

Nice, thanks.

·
Registered
9,648 Posts
For '02 and later you can access the wires at the module. Behind the rear seat back pas side for sedan. Wagon is rear pas side panel behind the store bin/CD changer. Wire color and polarity shown in attachment.
-chart-

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts