Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, Is there a special method or sequence to starting the car for the first time after you replace a fuel filter in a 1994 Taurus?
Thanks.

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
uh no, at most i would prime the fuel pump. do this by manually "hotwireing" the fuel pump relay. then start the car up like normal.

·
Registered
887 Posts
uh no, at most i would prime the fuel pump. do this by manually "hotwireing" the fuel pump relay. then start the car up like normal.
[/b]

In my 97, no hotwiring is required to start the car after a fuel filter change. Pop the hood, let the air out of the lines by unscrewing the cap off the pressure valve that is near the fuel injectors. When air stops coming from the lines, then turn key off and on about 3 or 4 times, each time allowing the fuel pump to pump the gas to the injectors, then it should start up.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I recently changed mine on our '01 Sable. I just turned the key on, waited for the fuel pump to run and started the car normal. The manual I have didn't say to do anything special.

·
Super Moderator
8,232 Posts
Should start normally with 5 to 10 sec of cranking. No need to bleed any air out, etc. I have changed filters on various bulls 20 times in the last 27 years, and never had a problem just cranking it up.

·
Premium Member
9,959 Posts
[/b]

Just cycle the key on and off a few times, before starting the engine. When you cycle the key on, wait until the idiot lights on the dash turn off... that's enough time to let the fuel pump prime and push some of the air out of the lines. Then start normally.

·
Registered
11 Posts
If you had tripped the inertia switch in the trunk before changing the filter, you have to reset it by pressing the red button on top of the switch. If you do not hear the pump engaging when the ignition switch is turned on, the engine will not start.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts