Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lately I've been getting an SES light for a small evap leak just about every other day and I know its the one where you are loosing gas tank pressure.

I know people say it's a bad gas cap or that I put a fuel additive in my gas tank and I forgot to take the foil off, but I know it's neither of those things as I have 2 different caps and get the same result with both and I'm not an idiot...

Having said that, the filler neck seems to have a lot of rust on the outside of it and the metal flap that is supposed to spring shut on the inside seems to be worn out and doesn't fully close anymore...

Is there any way I can fix that little flap like with some WD 40 or something?

Could this be causing my SES codes or maybe something more serious?

·
Super Moderator
8,663 Posts
That little metal flap inside the filler neck has nothing to do with the EVAP system.

If filler neck is rusted badly, could have a smal leak in it, but the leak could be anywhere in the system..... Cannister, vac lines, tank itself, etc etc

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
I have a POR-15 painted filler neck off the car if your interested.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I've had to epoxy several small hairline cracks in the plastic just inside the filler neck that were causing "small evap leak" codes. You might want to check for those as the plastic gets brittle over time. I also have a lot of rust on the outside metal portion and I don't know how easy it would be to replace the entire filler neck assembly because of all the rust. Mines a 2000.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts