Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Out of curiosity, what kind of fuel mileage is everyone getting on their 2010+ Taurus? I hear so many variances in fuel efficiency that I'm wondering what the average fuel mileage seems to be. I also hear and see many debates on subjects such as fuel additives and fuel injection cleaning services and I'd like to know your opinion on the matter.

Questions:

• Average fuel mileage?
  • Vehicle year and trim (Limited, SHO, SEL, SE)?
  • Vehicle mileage?
  • Average time to commute to work?
  • Typical driving conditions for your Taurus? (highway, city, country roads, etc.)
  • Do you race your Taurus and if so, how frequently?
  • What octane do you use?
  • Any performance modifications whatsoever to the vehicle or tunes?
  • Do you use fuel additives (techron, redline, etc.) regularly, seldom, or never? If so, what kind?
  • Have you ever Seafomed your crankcase, intake manifold, and fuel system (or used some other kind of cleaner to clean those three areas)?
  • Do you use full synthetic oil every oil change or anything other than full synthetic?
  • Have you ever had a fuel service performed on the vehicle?

I'd like to know how each of you maintain your Taurus and what kind of fuel economy you achieve. This does raise the debate, does a fuel service do anything or is it a scam? Do off-the-shelf fuel additives perform to their advertised claims or are they scams?

Let me know here! I'd love to see what everyone is experiencing!

·
Registered
361 Posts
I'll bite.

Questions:

• Average fuel mileage? 27
  • Vehicle year and trim (Limited, SHO, SEL, SE)? 2013 SEL
  • Vehicle mileage? 94000
  • Average time to commute to work? 30 minutes
  • Typical driving conditions for your Taurus? (highway, city, country roads, etc.) 50/50 highway/city
  • Do you race your Taurus and if so, how frequently? No.
  • What octane do you use? 87, may be up to E15.
  • Any performance modifications whatsoever to the vehicle or tunes? No
  • Do you use fuel additives (techron, redline, etc.) regularly, seldom, or never? If so, what kind? None
  • Have you ever Seafomed your crankcase, intake manifold, and fuel system (or used some other kind of cleaner to clean those three areas)? No
  • Do you use full synthetic oil every oil change or anything other than full synthetic? Motorcraft blend. I let the dealer do it.
  • Have you ever had a fuel service performed on the vehicle? No.
Most of the mileage is driving to work. I take a pretty lax driving attitude on my commute (keeps me sane). There's one cloverleaf where I do punch it every day.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll bite.

Most of the mileage is driving to work. I take a pretty lax driving attitude on my commute (keeps me sane). There's one cloverleaf where I do punch it every day.

Interesting. I appreciate the feedback. Some who have the same situation as you may only achieve 20-22 mpg.

·
Gen 5/6 Forum Moderator
3,017 Posts
My two Bulls when under 40k each:

-2013 SEL FWD, 2014 SEL AWD
-Both had Motorcraft Semi-Synthetic their entire lives.
-Highway MPG (really didn't track combined much, honestly): 29 on FWD, 27 on AWD.

Always used 87 octane, threw in Techron now and again--but doubt it made a difference.

AWD car was a bit heavier and had a shorter final drive.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Questions:

• Average fuel mileage: 22.5mpg (Overall life); ~26-28mpg (Hwy)
  • Vehicle year and trim: 2013 Limited FWD
  • Vehicle mileage: 60,100
  • Average time to commute to work: N/A
  • Typical driving conditions: Long highway or infrequent very short town trips
  • Do you race your Taurus and if so, how frequently: No
  • What octane do you use: 87 (E10 I think)
  • Any performance modifications whatsoever to the vehicle or tunes: No
  • Do you use fuel additives: No
  • Have you ever Seafomed your crankcase, intake manifold, and fuel system: No
  • Do you use full synthetic oil every oil change: Valvoline full synthetic
  • Have you ever had a fuel service performed on the vehicle: Basic cleaning @ 55k using probably some $5 additive they charged me $50 for, cause why the hell not.
I don't drive much and infrequently. Life avg economy likely offset greatly by very heavy and long use of remote-start idle year round (A/C in summer, heat in winter).

On the highway (typical trip 100-200mi) I get solid 26mpg round-trip (normally) or ~28 if I maintain speed at 75-80mph and don't floor it too often.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Cant wait to see these answers, here are mine...

-Average fuel mileage? 19 (city) 22.5 (combined) 26-ish (Hwy)
-Vehicle year and trim: 2014 SEL Flex Fuel AWD
-Vehicle mileage? 63,400
-Average time to commute to work? 1h 15m
-Typical driving conditions for your Taurus: To work backroads for 30mins then heavy traffic
-Do you race your Taurus and if so, how frequently? No, but who doesnt like a strong start off the stop bar.
-What octane do you use? 87 Top Tier fuel only with occasional 93
-Any performance modifications whatsoever to the vehicle or tunes? No
-Do you use fuel additives (techron, redline, etc.) regularly, seldom, or never? If so, what kind? Never
Have you ever Seafomed your crankcase, intake manifold, and fuel system (or used some other kind of cleaner to clean those three areas)? Never
Do you use full synthetic oil every oil change or anything other than full synthetic? Full Synthetic
Have you ever had a fuel service performed on the vehicle? Never

·
Registered
361 Posts
Interesting. I appreciate the feedback. Some who have the same situation as you may only achieve 20-22 mpg.
Yea, I seem to do quite a bit better than most. In addition to trusting what the car says, I've calculated it myself and get the same answer. I've also measured the accuracy of the speedo by looking at the odometer for a ten mile markers. It's all good.

I suspect it comes down to driving style. Taking it easy, doesn't just mean not having a heavy foot. It means longer following distances and looking several cars ahead, so you can coast down rather than using your brake. Every time you brake, you're tossing away fuel. On my commute, I even do my best to time the traffic lights, so I have fewer stops. I do all this, while being one of the faster cars on the road.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Questions:
Average fuel mileage? 24
Vehicle year and trim (Limited, SHO, SEL, SE)? 2013 AWD PI
Vehicle mileage? 179k
Average time to commute to work? 1 hour
Typical driving conditions for your Taurus? (highway, city, country roads, etc.) highway, hilly state roads
Do you race your Taurus and if so, how frequently? No
What octane do you use? 87
Any performance modifications whatsoever to the vehicle or tunes? None
Do you use fuel additives (techron, redline, etc.) regularly, seldom, or never? If so, what kind? I dumped one bottle of Techron in, but didn't know I needed a special funnel. It went on the ground...
Have you ever Seafomed your crankcase, intake manifold, and fuel system (or used some other kind of cleaner to clean those three areas)? No
Do you use full synthetic oil every oil change or anything other than full synthetic? Mobil1 5w30
Have you ever had a fuel service performed on the vehicle? No

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
Both cars 1999 3.0 Sable 228K 22mpg and Taurus Wagon 298K 22mpg. 60 miles daily highway interstate 70MPH with 5 miles at 45mph local roads. 20min drives.

I run 89 gas and conventional oil 10-40 Pennzoil since I got them used with 22K on them from Hertz car sales ten months old.
Gumout every three months, Marvel Mystery Oil at oil changes. New air filters every year.

Head gaskets replaced, you can eat off these engines so clean inside.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
7 Participants
james27613
Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
A forum community dedicated to the Ford Taurus and SHO models, Mercury Sable and Lincoln MKS. Join the discussions on EcoBoost, aftermarket performance, and more!
Full Forum Listing