Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Until recently, I always used 93 octane in my 2000 Sable with Duratec. However, with gas prices over $2.30 for 93 octane, I made the decision to use 87 octane. When I used 93, I would average 27 MPG doing mostly highway driving. Now that I'm using 87, I'm only getting 23 MPG.

It seems that my engine ran more efficiently on 93. Has anybody noticed this?

J

·
0 Posts
Yep, I've noticed that I can get better mileage with 93. It's not as drastic of a difference as yours, but mine does increase with 93. :)

J

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by Postmortem@May 18 2004, 12:19 AM
what about fuel with ethanol?

and, is 91 too strong for vulcan?
I think you need the flex fuel vulcan in order to run ethanol, somebody else will need to confirm this.

I've run 93 in my vulcan along with quite a few others and never had a problem. I don't think 91 would be too strong. :)

·
Premium Member
1,557 Posts
I must have a lead foot, I always seem to get just around 20-22mpg with my Duratec. I also always run regular 87 octane. How many times have you filled up the tank? I've noticed that my gas milage does seem to fluctuate, I think it has something to with the pump I'm using, some seem to shut off sooner than others because sometimes I'll be able to drive for 30-40 miles without the need moving and sometimes after only 10-20 miles the needle will drop so you might just have to average out your gas milage over several more tanks to say that you're really getting 23 instead of 27. Of course with that in mind, you might not have really been getting 27 all this time.

The other thing is that octane is the ability to resist knock. The btu content of 87 octane gas is the same as 93 octane. If your car has lots of milage and has hot spots in it such that you're getting knock, some of the power is being wasted in the knocking and using a higher octane gas will eliminate that knock and deliver more power. However if it's not knocking, then you're just wasting money by using a higher octane that the car doesn't need.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Originally posted by jason8225@May 17 2004, 11:28 PM
I think you need the flex fuel vulcan in order to run ethanol, somebody else will need to confirm this.
You don't need the flex fuel to run E10 (10%) ethanol, but you do to run E85 (85%) ethanol. Most gas stations only have E10.

http://www.e85fuel.com/faqs/anycar.htm

Yeah, I'm a bit of an ethanol advocate seeing how corn is my family's main source of income.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I've noticed that my Sable and my wife's Grandma Marquis both seem to run better with 89 rather than 87 octane. Gas mileage might be a smidge better with the 89.

All our gas here in Chicagoland has ~10% Ethanol.

Interesting, that a year ago, 93 cost about a dime a gallon more than 89, and 89 cost about a dime more than 87. Today, when gas prices have increased by about 60¢ or even 70¢ a gallon from a year ago, there's still that 10¢ a gallon spread. Somebody's spreading B.S. about the price of gas. Has ethanol gone up like gasoline has? If the gas price was up because of an increase in crude oil, then the spread would be greater than 10¢ a gallon today. I'm calling :bs:

·
Registered
712 Posts
Originally posted by Sablewagon@May 18 2004, 03:47 AM
Interesting, that a year ago, 93 cost about a dime a gallon more than 89, and 89 cost about a dime more than 87. Today, when gas prices have increased by about 60¢ or even 70¢ a gallon from a year ago, there's still that 10¢ a gallon spread. Somebody's spreading B.S. about the price of gas. Has ethanol gone up like gasoline has? If the gas price was up because of an increase in crude oil, then the spread would be greater than 10¢ a gallon today. I'm calling :bs:
Gas companies are lying to us? I think you might be on to something.

We may get laughed at, and called crazy, but I think it's at least possible.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I'm in Iowa, corn & ethanol state, and 89 w/ 10% (or 15%) of ethanol was always cheaper than regular 87. I'm gonna give it try tomorrow.

·
Registered
167 Posts
There is no way that ethanol additive gives you better gas mileage

for example FFV taurus / regular taurus comparison:

Fuel Economy

Fuel Type E85 Gasoline
MPG (city) 15 20
MPG (highway) 20 27
MPG (combined) 17 22

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Yeck, Ethanol doesn't have the BTU contents of gasoline, so your mileage drops off. It's a bad idea for gas motors. Now for diesel.... :D Bio-Diesel is the future, people.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
I usually use 87, however my last tankful was 87 + 10%eth and I am not feeling any difference (I do not have a FFV motor).

Hope this helps

·
Registered
114 Posts
actually running 10% ethanol usually results in higher gas milage, ehanol is oxygenated. So you burn more of the gas in the cylinder at a time. If you do have a problem with 10% ethanol it is possible that the way older computers were calibrated in such a way that it made them run a little rich on ethanol or just not run right on ethanol. At least thats what I heard. But being from those big corn and soybean states Nebraska South Dakota and North Dakota, I have always used ethanol. Keeps water from building up and at least in Nebraska and South Dakota I usually pay a few cents less for ethanol. Only vehical it ever gave me a problem in was my 85 ranger, but that was a weird truck anyways, as far as rangers go.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Originally posted by madness_spirit@May 24 2004, 05:34 PM
actually running 10% ethanol usually results in higher gas milage, ehanol is oxygenated. So you burn more of the gas in the cylinder at a time. If you do have a problem with 10% ethanol it is possible that the way older computers were calibrated in such a way that it made them run a little rich on ethanol or just not run right on ethanol. At least thats what I heard. But being from those big corn and soybean states Nebraska South Dakota and North Dakota, I have always used ethanol. Keeps water from building up and at least in Nebraska and South Dakota I usually pay a few cents less for ethanol. Only vehical it ever gave me a problem in was my 85 ranger, but that was a weird truck anyways, as far as rangers go.
without ethanol-regular 87- same route, same number of miles - 27mpg
with ethanol-E10-89- 24mpg

1 - 14 of 14 Posts