Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1996 Sable (3.0 V6 Vulcan) and has been running beautifully until now. The car has been miss-firing, running and idling rough. The SES would come on in 1 sec intervals then stay on. I took it the ford dealer and the codes that came up were P0301, P0304 & P0305 ( miss-fires on cylinder 1, 4 & 5). The dealer diagnosed it as a faulty Ignition coil and replaced it. However 2 days later it begins to run & idle rough again. It has misfired 3 times today. In fact it is running worse then when I took it in. I Plan on taking it back to the dealer on Monday to have them fix it right. I'm stumped and frustrated with this problem....I just don't want to keep taking it back and having to replace something new each time.....I was hoping the knowledgable people on this forum could help me.

the car has 159 000 km, synthetic oil every 5000km, all wires spark plugs have been replaced. This current problem is the only serious problem it has had.

thanks Steve

·
Registered
341 Posts
don't know about the misfiring...but as for the oil changes...i'd recommend at least every 3k. I change mine every 2,500 miles because i'm paranoid about it ever since i bent the main rod in my olds cutlass by going 34,000 miles w/out a change.

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
me if remembered it was the electronic ignition sensor under the cap and rotor there is a plug there and this some time can be defectibe in a weird way like just just mentionned

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks I'll ahve a look at the electronic sensor....does anyone else have any ideas of what the problem could be. It would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
3,493 Posts
also look and see if any spark plug is cracked. And make sure the wires are good and on all the way

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks I'll check the plugs in the morning and the wires......if anyone else has some ideas that could help I would really like to hear them.

Are spark plugs and the ignition coil the only items that would relate to missfire codes for p0301, p0304 and p0305?

·
Registered
13 Posts
We are experiencing the same symptoms on the same car and engine at 160,000km. Please see previous posts.

The latest mechanic thinks the timing belt has slipped causing the engine to misfire. It will be a couple of days before he has a chance to look at it, but I will let you know if this is the problem.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
There is no timing belt on that engine.. it's a timing chain, behind the front cover, like the 3.8's. And there's no distributor cap to look under for a sensor... i think he's referring to the camshaft position sensor, at the rear of the engine. That won't normally cause a misfire, however- if it's worn, failing, or out of adjustment, it'll usually cause a hesitation on tip-in... it's not used for ignition timing, just for fuel injection timing. Have they checked the injectors at all? The dealer can do an injector flow test to see how well they are flowing fuel (i've done many - i'm a ford mechanic at a dealer here in canada). I've done injector flow tests, found a couple injectors to be out of range, ran a can of injector cleaner thru it (the kind you hook up to the fuel rail, not the cheap in-the-tank kind) and found it brought those faulty injectors back into spec. If the plugs and wires are new and not damaged, and it ran fine after the new coil pack was installed, i'd say the coil was the problem. Since it's acting up again, it's possible you have a bumb coil, which they should warranty, but it's also possible there's another concern. If not fuel related, it could be a pcm problem, tho that's fairly rare. Vacuum leaks can also set misfire codes, and the dealer can see that with the equipment hooked up to watch the fuel trims. Also, here's a trick to try - with the engine running, spray water on the wires - a bad wire will cause the engine to start missing. Also, spray water around the intake and listen for sucking noises indicating a leaking intake gasket or seal, and/or the engine will stumble if it's sucking water in thru a leak somewhere. Keep us posted, and if i think of anything else, i'll let you know.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 96 Taurus Vulcan was falshing engine light (P0301) recently. It turned out to be the fuel injector. On replacing it, everything is OK.

BTW, the mechanic recommended to replace all 6 injectors. They reasoned that since one has failed, normally others fail soon. But i got only one replaced. Has anyone faced this kind of problem?

·
Registered
285 Posts
Try having the fuel injectors professionally cleaned. This isn't a bottle of stuff dumped into the fuel tank; this is some really evil, nasty & vicious varnish removing solvent that the technician will put in the fuel line while the engine is running.

It doesn't hurt the injectors or the fuel lines a bit! But it's h3ll on deposits that clog injectors. I had my '87 3.0L done, for under $80 and got a little better gas mileage, better idle and LOTS better acceleration.

EDIT: http://www.obdii.com/obdii_library.asp This link will give you some decent ideas on what to look around for. PLEASE let us know if you find your problem - I think this is one for the "Solutions to Common Problems" forum!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you everyone for your help in my problem.....as it turns out my new spark plugs that were installed last year...the one on cylinder 5 was corroded.....teh ford mechanic cleaned all the heads........they mentioned that there could be an injector problem as a few of you have mentioned but they will not touch the injectors....as they are pretty clean....they'll look into this if the cleaning of the heads solves the problem.......well it has been five days and no misfire so replacing the faulty coil and cleaning the corrosion on the heads has worked so far........at least i have a few more placed to be aware of if the problem crops up again.

Steve

1 - 11 of 11 Posts