Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
'04 DOHC 82k miles

I have had the car for the past 3 yr, 44k miles.

I get P0193 intermittently, like 1/month. CEL turns itself off after a few trips typically. The CEL seems to come on either right at startup or after high loads like highway merging.

There is a Bosch FRPS installed already by PO.

Is it unusual to have 2 failures in 82k/14 yrs?:huh:

Does the intermittent fault point more towards connector/wire?

·
Registered
9,609 Posts
'04 DOHC 82k miles

I have had the car for the past 3 yr, 44k miles.

I get P0193 intermittently, like 1/month. CEL turns itself off after a few trips typically. The CEL seems to come on either right at startup or after high loads like highway merging.

There is a Bosch FRPS installed already by PO.

Is it unusual to have 2 failures in 82k/14 yrs?:huh:

Does the intermittent fault point more towards connector/wire?
What causes the P0193 code?

• Low or no fuel
  • Wiring that is exposed, broken, shorted, or corroded
  • Connectors that are corroded
  • Fuel filter that is clogged
  • Defective fuel pump relay
  • Bad fuel rail sensor
  • Defective fuel pump
Copy and paste from internet.
Input code in any search engine and you get lots of info.
-chart-

·
Registered
9,609 Posts
Clue in your info. Light on startup or high load indicates pump/filter cannot deliver enough fuel to satisfy the pressure sensor. Highly likely it is not the sensor. That points to filter and/or pump. Does not point to the other things on the list.

-chart-

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Clue in your info. Light on startup or high load indicates pump/filter cannot deliver enough fuel to satisfy the pressure sensor. Highly likely it is not the sensor. That points to filter and/or pump. Does not point to the other things on the list.

-chart-
Thanks for the response!

Logical (and cheap) place to start. I haven’t replaced fuel filter since I bought it. So I should replace it regardless.

·
Registered
9,609 Posts
Thanks for the response!

Logical (and cheap) place to start. I haven’t replaced fuel filter since I bought it. So I should replace it regardless.
Filter gets changed every 30K according to Ford. There is a reason for this as in the pic. Car I bought used. '03 DOHC.
-chart-

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just an update.

Finally got around to replacing the fuel filter. 2 weeks with no light since, if it comes back I guess the pump is the next step.
Well the light is back on. I’ve attached a freeze frame from my scan tool when the light was set.

It ran fine, but acceleration felt sluggish at highway speeds.

I guess it’s onto the fuel pump?

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well the light is back on. I’ve attached a freeze frame from my scan tool when the light was set.

It ran fine, but acceleration felt sluggish at highway speeds.

I guess it’s onto the fuel pump?
Well a month later, I did not replace the fuel pump as the light turned itself off a couple days later and stayed off until now. I attached a screenshot from my scan tool.

Now I’m getting the p0193 and a p0301. It appears the 2 can both be related to the FRPS.

Does anyone find this likely? Is there a way to test the sensor?

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
110 Posts
The previous owner replaced the part already, and that suggests to me that he/she may have been looking for the same issue that you are experiencing, and was unsuccessful in finding it.

With the intermittent history of the problem you have described, and the low number of miles it has been driven (suggesting the car has sat idle for a good period of time), I would be looking for a flaky/corroded connection or ground wire somewhere in the circuits.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The previous owner replaced the part already, and that suggests to me that he/she may have been looking for the same issue that you are experiencing, and was unsuccessful in finding it.

With the intermittent history of the problem you have described, and the low number of miles it has been driven (suggesting the car has sat idle for a good period of time), I would be looking for a flaky/corroded connection or ground wire somewhere in the circuits.
Thanks for the suggestion!

I will check the 2 body grounds and the connector to the frps.

Are there any other connectors worth checking?

·
Registered
9,609 Posts
Thanks for the suggestion!

I will check the 2 body grounds and the connector to the frps.

The fuel pump module is behind the rear seat back on the pas side. Robust part in a very clean cool location. Wires at the gas tank different story, subject to outside weather. The one ground that is weak and corrodes is the ground strap from the engine block to the cowl where it attaches with the PCM ground. Ford bolts the eyelets to painted metal. My '03 had unstable idle speed and TPS sensor output at idle due to bad PCM ground. Sanding the paint off and cleaning the eyelets along with anti corrosion compound fixed my idle. Pic tells the story.
-chart-

Attachments

·
Registered
110 Posts
You may need to check the continuity/condition of the wiring from the sensor to the computer. If you are not familiar with doing this, then do some YouTube surfing, and you'll find plenty of excellent videos showing exactly how to do it, and what damage you can do, if you do it incorrectly.

Use a wiring diagram to find the correct pins/wire colors to test.

Some excellent YouTube channels that are very informative on doing this type of testing correctly:

South Main Auto
Pine Hollow Auto Diagnostics
Scanner Danner
Wells Vehicle Electronics
Schrodingers Box
Eric the Car Guy
(Stay away from Scotty Kilmer, unless you just want entertainment...)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You may need to check the continuity/condition of the wiring from the sensor to the computer.
The body grounds, battery terminals, and sensor connector/pins look good and free of corrosion. Continuity check on the wires was good also. Vacuum side of the sensor did not smell of fuel.

I’m not sure it is related, but I’m beginning to suspect a vacuum leak, pulled the IAC connector while the engine was running and the idle dropped to 550 rpms and stayed running...

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
110 Posts
In the freeze frames you posted, I don't really see fuel trims that indicate a lean condition, so I'm not sure that you are going to find a significant vacuum leak.

I guess the elephant in the room is that you may well have a bad part. I just looked at Rock Auto's website for the car, and it according to the information I'm reading, the Bosch part is the OEM part. Maybe the PO didn't put this on?

Here's a video that may be helpful (ScannerDanner's brother, I think):

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
In the freeze frames you posted, I don't really see fuel trims that indicate a lean condition, so I'm not sure that you are going to find a significant vacuum leak.

I guess the elephant in the room is that you may well have a bad part. I just looked at Rock Auto's website for the car, and it according to the information I'm reading, the Bosch part is the OEM part. Maybe the PO didn't put this on?

Here's a video that may be helpful
Thanks for sharing the video! I have a couple things to test now. Will report back on this.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
About this Discussion
14 Replies
3 Participants
dpet
Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
A forum community dedicated to the Ford Taurus and SHO models, Mercury Sable and Lincoln MKS. Join the discussions on EcoBoost, aftermarket performance, and more!
Full Forum Listing