Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else park there car outside and have problems with there car?

Let me know about these problems.

:angryfire: :angryfire:
:tcca_small: :tcca_small:

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
I presume you mean your car doors are frozen shut?

Did you winterize your car? Spray WD-40 and/or white lithium grease on the rubber door seals, and into the door jams. daveromanjr recommends having a small thing of graphite which you can insert into the lock to unfreeze the lock. You can try using a hair dryer to unfreeze some of the water.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know this probly sounds really dum, but i rather be safe than sorry. The graphite how big would that have to be, and where would you find that?

I got the rest of it, and i did that but i never heard of the graphite thing before.

·
michelle
1,364 Posts
Pull harder.

I've never had a problem with my car's doors being frozen and it spends most of the winter outside under a nice big sheet of ice. The trunk didn't want to open once, but there was a heavy sheet of ice on that too, so I think that was the issue.

Also, you will hear nice squeaky noises from your steering wheel when you first start driving. And you'll hear fun interior noises that you never heard before.

When I was driving home from work this morning, every time I hit a large bump some of the ice would crack on my car and I thought my windshield was cracking.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The ice can damage parts on the car, and when it cracks off cause some paint damage. A buddy of mine had problems like that.

·
michelle
1,364 Posts
Helps if you protect the paint first before winter hits with a good 3-step waxing process.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
He does not take care of his car, I dont have to worry about such things.

·
Premium Member
10,632 Posts
When I was driving home from work this morning, every time I hit a large bump some of the ice would crack on my car and I thought my windshield was cracking.
[/b]
:angry:

I hate when that happens. I always freak out and pull over and check my windshield over 3 times before I realized that it's just ice from somewhere else on the car!

·
Premium Member
7,306 Posts
Sunday afternoon we got some freezing rain. My window froze about half open on me. I didn't bother trying to get it to shut until yesterday ...

We got a good 6 inches of snow since sunday ... I had to brush a ton of snow out of the car.

And my car doors are always freezing shut.

·
Premium Member
4,482 Posts
We put the jeep through the carwash last winter and it got to -9 that night. We almost had to get a hammer to open it next day lol

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Well like 2 weeks into the snow season, i finally got some good floor mats for catching the slush.
This is kinda ghetto, but i was using some flat rubber mats with a bath towel on top so my floor didn't get soaked.

·
Registered
257 Posts
ive had my front doors freeze shut. since the handles are plastic i dont wanna yank hard. for some reason the rear doors would open just fine so i climbed to the front seat and pulled the lever and hit the door hard pushing out and it opened right up :D

Michael

wd-40 on the weatherstripping...not a bad idea. would that damage the rubber over time though?

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
Sometimes my power lock on the driver side doesn't lock with the clicker. Otherwise, I have no problems. I do love my new remote starter though.

·
Registered
4,522 Posts
this morning when i used the keyless entry to unlock the doors i couldnt open the drivers door it wouldnt open, then i looked down and it was still locked lol but the back door was unlocked so i reached through the back and unlocked it, then it opened fine

so i guess my lock got froze up a little this morning

·
Registered
284 Posts
does locking my keys in count? nah just hate not having the 230+ hp in the wagon no power to get out of snow in the drive way

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sunday afternoon we got some freezing rain. My window froze about half open on me. I didn't bother trying to get it to shut until yesterday ...

We got a good 6 inches of snow since sunday ... I had to brush a ton of snow out of the car.

And my car doors are always freezing shut.
[/b]

try putting some WD-40 on the inside of the car door (the seal) and that should not happen.

Sometimes my power lock on the driver side doesn't lock with the clicker. Otherwise, I have no problems. I do love my new remote starter though.
[/b]
anyone have this problem

you use your remote start and everything else goes on, but the engine tries to start, but then dies on you.

ive had my front doors freeze shut. since the handles are plastic i dont wanna yank hard. for some reason the rear doors would open just fine so i climbed to the front seat and pulled the lever and hit the door hard pushing out and it opened right up :D

Michael

wd-40 on the weatherstripping...not a bad idea. would that damage the rubber over time though?
[/b]
i dont think the wd would do damage to it. I mean the WD in WD-40 stands for Water Displacement.

·
Premium Member
4,180 Posts
go to a local murrays, advance, napa, auto value., whatever u have. they sell the graphite for locks. also white lituim grease works good. sell it to my customers all the time in winter. also might want to consider using a fuel antifreeze like HEET or ISOHEET. good products. keeps ur fuel from freezing up. also let ur fuel pump prime for a sec with key in on position before you start it. also make sure u have a good amount of -20 washer fluid in the washer tank and maybe one in the trunk. it sucks when it sleeting or its rainy with salt, and ur driving and run out of washer fluid. had it happen to me last night driving someones 07 ram... looked out the windsheild through salt. it sucked. only had a tiny bit left so i had to conserve properly. also good to make sure ur oil is good and clean. and using a 5-30. some people have it backwards and want to put 10-40 in thier cars. which is harder to crank in cold weather.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
alright thanks
i had my oil change before winter came, did not feel like doing it myself so i took it to the dealer.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
go to a local murrays, advance, napa, auto value., whatever u have. they sell the graphite for locks. also white lituim grease works good. sell it to my customers all the time in winter. also might want to consider using a fuel antifreeze like HEET or ISOHEET. good products. keeps ur fuel from freezing up. also let ur fuel pump prime for a sec with key in on position before you start it. also make sure u have a good amount of -20 washer fluid in the washer tank and maybe one in the trunk. it sucks when it sleeting or its rainy with salt, and ur driving and run out of washer fluid. had it happen to me last night driving someones 07 ram... looked out the windsheild through salt. it sucked. only had a tiny bit left so i had to conserve properly. also good to make sure ur oil is good and clean. and using a 5-30. some people have it backwards and want to put 10-40 in thier cars. which is harder to crank in cold weather.
[/b]
:werd: on the windshield washer fluid.
I didn't have my defrost on and tried to clear the salt and crap off my windshield. Well it work perfectly except when all the salt was gone and the freaking windshield iced over...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts