Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 96 Taurus and during the winter when it is below zero or hovering around it frost gets on the inside of the windshield and I have to wait for the defroster to melt it and I have to use paper towels to wipe away the water. Does anyone know any solutions to this problem?

Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats what I do but I don't want to wait for the defroster to melt the frost. And what do you recommend I wipe up the water with?

G

·
This may actually be a problem with the AC system. Does your air conditioner work? The reason is, because when using the defroster, the AC cyles as well, to dehumidify the air in the car. If it's not working, the air in the car will be humid, causing the frosting problems you're describing.

·
Premium Member
1,557 Posts
First I would suggest keeping the insides of your windows clean with a standard glass cleaner. How often do you clean them? The plastics and other materials in the car gives off gasses over time that adhere to the windows making them dirty after a while.

Keeping them clean is supposed to be one way to minimize the frost that forms. The other thing is that I think you're supposed to have it on defrost with a colder temperature on the theory that hot air can hold more humidity. Not sure if I remember that right. Let's see hot air in the car holds more water and hits the cold glass causing it to turn to frost on the glass. A/C kicks in to dehumidify the air and cold air is dryer than hot air. Makes sense?

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The a/c works great so that's not the problem. I'll try cleaning the windows more often during the winter see if that helps. I also was doing some searching on the net and I found this place that they said to wipe the windshield with a salt-water solution with a sponge. What do you think of this?

·
Registered
17 Posts
That does not sound like a great idea -- if you are suffering frost on the inside of the car its largly a moisture issue. Sure the salt might stop the freeze however the moisture will still be present and will run down the window eventually concentrating the salt and making things ugly (if it does not cause corrosion) ... of course this is merely an opinion not a fact -- I had a similar issue, I replaced the door seals that I was missing and it went away - that said when it gets good and cold in Wisconsin my breath will freeze on the window while I am starting the car up.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I probably won't do the salt thing because it doesn't seem to be a solution just a cover-up. I also noticed that during the winter its when I have a few people in the car and go for a short trip. I was wondering if its because of all our breath and the moisture never gets taken out of the air by the defroster. As far as the door seals they seem to be in good condition but I'll check it out.

·
Registered
17 Posts
:D I think you have it :D -- Just tell your passengers they are not allowed to breath!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts