Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody have a nice clean write up or some tips. I used the wiki for the fronts and that led me astray. No one should ever touch the ball joints when doing fronts. So now I could use some pearls of wisdom for the rear. I have the pinch bolts soaking in PB blaster now. Thanks.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
ok, it looks like heat, pb blaster, atf/acetone, tighten and loosen several times. Then drill it out and put in a grade 8 bolt. How do you take out the package/speaker tray? Thanks.

·
Registered
587 Posts
QUOTE (clydesdale @ May 23 2010, 03:10 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=806309
ok, it looks like heat, pb blaster, atf/acetone, tighten and loosen several times. Then drill it out and put in a grade 8 bolt. How do you take out the package/speaker tray? Thanks.[/b]

to take out the rear package shelf on 1996-2003 i think is the correct dates you got to remove the seat back it is four bolts when you fold it down lift it up and off. remove the two plastic side moldings there held in by push pins mounted to the back of it the package shelf should lift right off. if you have a problem getting the bolt out sears makes a special socket that i did mine with that and a breaker bar and a pipe work great to remove them i edit and post the socket in a minute.

this is a sear bolt out only works to loosen the bolts .
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_0...mp;blockType=G1

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
You can leave the plastic side moldings that go around the window/seat belt. Remove the pushpins and slide the shelf out, or fold it a bit.

·
Registered
833 Posts
To get the sway bar link out of the strut, I remove the top nut then jack up the strut until the car starts coming off the lift/ jack stand. Then pry down on the sway bar and it'll pop right out. Reverse to get it back in. Enough heat should prevent the need for any drilling.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Any real issue with using heat next to a gas pressurized strut? It seems everyone does it.

QUOTE (goodbrosUIT @ May 23 2010, 05:54 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=806337
To get the sway bar link out of the strut, I remove the top nut then jack up the strut until the car starts coming off the lift/ jack stand. Then pry down on the sway bar and it'll pop right out. Reverse to get it back in. Enough heat should prevent the need for any drilling.[/b]

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What would I need that sears tool set for? I am not sure what bolt you are referring to. Thank you.

QUOTE (sadistic @ May 23 2010, 03:29 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=806314
QUOTE (clydesdale @ May 23 2010, 03:10 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=806309
ok, it looks like heat, pb blaster, atf/acetone, tighten and loosen several times. Then drill it out and put in a grade 8 bolt. How do you take out the package/speaker tray? Thanks.[/b]

to take out the rear package shelf on 1996-2003 i think is the correct dates you got to remove the seat back it is four bolts when you fold it down lift it up and off. remove the two plastic side moldings there held in by push pins mounted to the back of it the package shelf should lift right off. if you have a problem getting the bolt out sears makes a special socket that i did mine with that and a breaker bar and a pipe work great to remove them i edit and post the socket in a minute.

this is a sear bolt out only works to loosen the bolts .
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_0...mp;blockType=G1
[/b][/quote]

·
Registered
833 Posts
I usually use mapp gas for at least a minute, propane will work too, mapp is hotter though. I've done this at least 50 times and never had a problem. The heat is on the knuckle and bolt, not directly on the strut. yeah, heat will transfer to it, but whatever...

I don't know what he's getting at with that socket set, it's for rounded off bolts and I've never needed them for this job.

·
Premium Member
2003 Ford taurus Centennial Edition
1,409 Posts
How do you take out the package/speaker tray? Thanks.[/quote]

I have done this numerous times installing speakers..changing struts,etc. Remove the bottom seat bolts first, then just fold down the 2 seat backs.. you will see a black bolt head in opening in the upper outside corner of each side. Just remove these bolts (I've never needed any breaker bar or anything like that, either just remove them with a ratchet.) and the seatback will remove from the car. Then just remove the push pins, lift a little in the middle...the tray will slide out from the sides.
If you have a buddy with an impact gun ..that works great for changing struts.
You might need to compress the springs to get the new struts on...I did. Go to Advance auto, you can rent a set of spring compressors for free..you buy them , then just return them when you are finished..you get all your money back incl. tax.

·
Registered
833 Posts
the seat bottom comes out by pushing the front of the seat toward the back of the car, it has two hooks it latches onto. Then you'll see two bolts on the bottom of the seatback and two at the top with fold down parts pulled down. Lift up and the back comes off, then there is pushpin holding the tray in place.

·
Registered
448 Posts
BTW, impact wrench works better for the pinch bolt than a large breaker bar. The reason is that the hammering motion will prevent the smooth part of the pinch bolt from friction welding itself to the knuckle. You'd still want to heat up the knuckle to expand it as much as possible. But using an impact wrench means you don't need the 1/2 turn forward and 1/4 turn backward thing. I also would gradually increasing the torque on the impact wrench to prevent the possibility of rounding the head of the bolt. But honestly with some heat, it should zip right off.

·
Premium Member
8,433 Posts
You didn't fill out your profile but unless you live in the rustbelt you shouldn't even have a problem with the bolt. Especially if you soaked it in PB Blaster or equivalent.

Mike
B)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts