Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking at changing my front hub wheel bearing on my 97.
there seems to be different approaches to doing this.

Has anyone successfully used the tool that bolts over the lug studs and
pushes against the CV shaft to remove the bearing?
Any comments on doing it this way? Any damage to CV shaft?

What about a mount to the lug studs with a slide hammer?
harbor freight has a set like this.

I don't have a hydraulic press, but how to pound it out if the
steering hub mount is removed from the car?

Any comments on who has done this with what tools and hassles would
be appreciated. I am just not seeing this bearing coming out
without a major fight.

·
Registered
405 Posts
There's a write up here with different opinions, my 02 with ABS didn't go that easily. I had to pop both ball joints and then ended up beating on the bearings from behind.
http://www.taurusclub.com/forum/118...gen-front-wheel-bearing-replacement-pics.html
The driver side was worst, PB blaster, beating and working from outside with chisels.

The steel bearings against the aluminum knuckles are a beast, corrosion sets in, effectively welding the bearing assembly to the kuckle.

If you're going to tackle it yourself - inspect what you're putting in, make sure it's high quality - I've read a more than a few posts where the OP put in new bearings only to find them to be defective and having to go through the whole orderal again, sometimes more than once. Not only here, you can find posts on other boards for other vehicle brands, aftermarket wheel bearings can be junk, even the better brands are turning out garbage.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.