Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced all the tires on my rims to 225/50/17 which should fit according to several websites. I don't have any rubbing issues on the rear tires. However, on the front ones, whenever the car hits a dip in the road (and there are plenty of those here in NYC) the tires hit the fender wells. Without resorting to replacing the tires and going back to a 215 size tire, is there anything I can do to control how much the spring / strut is compressed so that the car doesn't bottom out like that. Any and all ideas are welcome.

Thanks...


P.S. This is on a Gen 2.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,433 Posts
Is it the original struts and springs on a GenII?
If it is I would bet that's the problem

Mike
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,184 Posts
Im having a rubbing issue now with 225/60/16's on the rear. They never did it before so I am not sure what is goin on. I think my struts may be weak. Perhaps this is ur problem too.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by mwt@May 18 2004, 06:44 PM
Is it the original struts and springs on a GenII?
If it is I would bet that's the problem

Mike
I should've mentioned it before. I have the Eibach pro-kit springs in the front and KYB GR-2 struts on all 4 corners.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by Zeptoplix@May 18 2004, 07:44 PM
Im having a rubbing issue now with 225/60/16's on the rear.  They never did it before so I am not sure what is goin on.  I think my struts may be weak.  Perhaps this is ur problem too.
I don't have a problem with the rear tires. Just the front ones. The ones up front don't fit into the wheel well. They are dead even if not wider. What I don't understand is why the rears, which are usually the problematic set, don't have the same issue.

I should also add that these tires are on 17x7.5 rims. Maybe this combo is the problem?? Keep the ideas coming.

Thanks...
 
G

·
I have a 98 Sable and lowered the car (with Eibachs/KYB) and still run 225/55ZR16s... and I dont have a problem at all
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
79 Posts
Here's a rundown of stock tire sizes for all generations. Hope it helps :)

Gen 1 - 205/70-14; 205/65-15 optional
Gen 1 SHO - 215/65-15 to 1990; 215/60-16 90-93
Gen 2 - 205/65-15
Gen 2 SHO - 215/60-16
Gen 3 - 205/65-15
Gen 3 SHO - 225/55-16
Gen 4 - 215/60-16
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
346 Posts
Originally posted by socom58@May 19 2004, 12:12 PM
Here's a rundown of stock tire sizes for all generations. Hope it helps :)

Gen 1 - 205/70-14; 205/65-15 optional
Gen 1 SHO - 215/65-15 to 1990; 215/60-16 90-93
Gen 2 - 205/65-15
Gen 2 SHO - 215/60-16
Gen 3 - 205/65-15
Gen 3 SHO - 225/55-16
Gen 4 - 215/60-16
The '92 Taurus L came with 205/70-14.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
509 Posts
I looked at my wheel well plastic thing in the ftront, and I noticed that the plastic looks like the tire has been rubbing on it, in the front. but I have stock wheels and tires. :headscratch:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Originally posted by socom58@May 19 2004, 01:12 PM
Here's a rundown of stock tire sizes for all generations. Hope it helps :)

Gen 1 - 205/70-14; 205/65-15 optional
Gen 1 SHO - 215/65-15 to 1990; 215/60-16 90-93
Gen 2 - 205/65-15
Gen 2 SHO - 215/60-16
Gen 3 - 205/65-15
Gen 3 SHO - 225/55-16
Gen 4 - 215/60-16
Thanks for the info. It would seem that the tires I put on are too wide for a Gen 2. Some of the sites that I checked out (Tirerack, discounttiredirect) show that I should be able to fit a 225/50/17 tire with no problems. Anyone else here have a similar tire size on a Gen 2. I really don't want to change the tires and would rather modify/upgrade the suspension to be a lot firmer to avoid the rubbing. Any thoughts???

Thanks...
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,077 Posts
There's always the time-honored tradition of sticking rubber wedges into some of the center coils until you can figure out what to do next... :huh:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Originally posted by TrueBlue@May 19 2004, 03:59 PM
There's always the time-honored tradition of sticking rubber wedges into some of the center coils until you can figure out what to do next... :huh:
A friend of mine told me to do something similar to what you said. Should I be able to pick these up at an Autoparts store? Are these wedges universal?

Thanks...
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
821 Posts
Yeah I picked up the set i used at my local Pep Boys. They are universal, they have ones for cars and trucks (larger then the ones for cars) and then for the rear and front springs. It really helped with the SAS (Sagging a** Syndrome) common to our cars. For me its a temporary fix until I decide to redo the springs.

Where I went they had a Metal alloy set and a stiff rubber set. I opted for the Stiff rubber set assuming they would hold up to the jarring and such better then a aluminum alloy (or so it appeared to be) .

Here's a link to the mod (w/ picture) in my garage:

http://www.taurusclub.com/forum/index.php?...ID=1144&CID=175

Hope that helps some.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Originally posted by hightecredneck@May 19 2004, 06:02 PM
Yeah I picked up the set i used at my local Pep Boys. They are universal, they have ones for cars and trucks (larger then the ones for cars) and then for the rear and front springs. It really helped with the SAS (Sagging a** Syndrome) common to our cars. For me its a temporary fix until I decide to redo the springs.

Where I went they had a Metal alloy set and a stiff rubber set. I opted for the Stiff rubber set assuming they would hold up to the jarring and such better then a aluminum alloy (or so it appeared to be) .

Here's a link to the mod (w/ picture) in my garage:

http://www.taurusclub.com/forum/index.php?...ID=1144&CID=175

Hope that helps some.
Thanks. This looks like one solution for now. I'll try the auto shops by me to see if they carry them. If not, I'll make the trip to Pep Boys.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Originally posted by jedhead@May 19 2004, 06:22 PM
I have 225/50ZR-16's on stock slicers on my SHO. I also have SS linears and Koni's so my SHO sits pretty low. I have no rubbing problems. Maybe your offset is the cause for the rubbing on the 225's.

Bob
The rims I have are 17x7.5 ; 5x108 with a 40mm offset. So the size is right on the money. I think it's a combination of the 7.5 width rim and 225 width tires.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
959 Posts
Originally posted by TrueBlue@May 19 2004, 03:59 PM
There's always the time-honored tradition of sticking rubber wedges into some of the center coils until you can figure out what to do next... :huh:
Actually, for all you Canucks out there, since we don't have Pep Boys up here (unless you live around the Lakes, and can drive into Mich.), there's the simple solution... HOCKEY PUCKS!!!!

Always cheap at Canadian Tire, and if you buy a half dozen, you'll never have to worry about freeway grenades, or late-night pickup streethockey!
:banana:

Heh.
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top