Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I put a jack under the front crossover to lift the car up ......

As soon as the tires come off the ground, the engine and cradle will ride up about an inch and then the whole car will go up. I got in there the other day and took the bushing out and it was in two pieces. The rubber had split in two. Someone correct me but that type of movement isn’t normal right??? I don’t ever remember seeing it. The bushings are only 2 years old. Did they just fail miserably?? What tipped me off that something. Was wrong was I had instant and cataclysmic outside tire wear on both front tires. Prior to this every thing had been fine for the last two years.
Thanks for any advise.
Matt

·
Registered
6,639 Posts
Maybe the bolts have snapped from rust or the unibody attachment points are rusted out. Not safe to drive that way. There was a recall many years ago about rusted attachments and required reinforcement plates.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Maybe the bolts have snapped from rust or the unibody attachment points are rusted out. Not safe to drive that way. There was a recall many years ago about rusted attachments and required reinforcement plates.

Bolts are fine. I had them out 2 years ag. They are still silver and the holes on the subframe where the bushings pass through were strong. I had the subframe up out of the car and on saw horses as well whe;I was doing work. It was in great shape. .The bolts tighten up all the way. I’m putting 70 ft. Lbs of torque on them.

My theory is that one bushing failed and the torque and flexing caused the other one to go. So I am replacing both today.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts