Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I just replaced the front subframe bushings on my 98 Taurus SE DOHC. Used Dorman rear bushings on the front, much better feel now. Unfortunately the bolts provided in the kit have what appears to be a 1.5 thread pitch and mine are 1.75. Didn' realize until I sank the bolt fully into the nut and wound up spinning the nut trying to remove it. Then had to cut the sheet metal open enough to insert a 22 mm wrench to hold the nut (just remove inner front plastic fender well) . Just ordered new bolts from Ford. Getting out the rusted nuts and bolts was a breeze with a home made penetrant of 50%-50% power steering fluid and acetone that I read about. Mixture separates quickly and needs constant shaking and the rusted fasteners started as smooth as new ones. Unbelievable, will do this on exhaust parts next time. As a side note acetone can eat through paint so use with caution. Rear bushings on back order, will do in the next couple weeks from now. Never did this before but was ALOT easier than a majority of repairs I've done on this 230,000 mile car. She still runs as smooth as glass on original drive train (80% highway).

1 - 2 of 2 Posts