Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 99 SE Duratec 3.0 with 170k miles. The front passenger side strut tower has a crack on the top of it. I could see lots of rust inside it. I poked inside the crack with a small screwdriver and it was pretty soft. Lots of little rust flakes came off. I can see that this is a cap that is spot welded on. Also, I replaced the wheel bearing on that side because it was shot. It was fine for about a month and then it started sounding bad like the old one. I'm thinking the 2 problems are related. Could the strut tower be rusted that bad that its causing the alignment to be off and the bearing took all the stress? The wife likes the car and wants to see if it can be fixed. I haven't had it looked at, but I'm pretty sure its not worth it. Even if a shop can cut out the old cap and replace it, how do I know that the suspension didn't shift because of the weakness from the rust? The rest of the car is great. Small rust spots on the rear wheel wells and both rockers. Interior is almost perfect. Motor and tranny work great. I'll call around tomorrow and try to get some prices for the rust repair. So lets hear your opinions, suggestions, experiences. Thanks in advance.

·
Cake monster
1,584 Posts
It wouldn't be very much fun to weld another one in. Maybe they can weld a plate over it? My 99 was doing the same thing on the passenger side just before I got rid of it. I would take it to a shop and have the alignment checked.

In all realism, the car isn't worth fixing in my opinion, which is sad because of the overall condition. Next time you buy a car, get it sprayed with oil after every winter.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts