Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
If you are replacing a strut mount, it might be cheaper to install a entire quick strut.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
I noticed that KYB is making quick struts now, has any one figured out whose springs they are using?

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here are photos of the OEM strut mount that came in. I don't know what I am looking for as far as the "bearing" is concerned, I am still missing something?

Attachments

·
Registered
10,566 Posts
Strut Bearing

Any recomendations on where to source this "bearing"?
Attached pic of bearing for fronts. (none on rears of course)

It is hard plastic, two parts with many balls between the two races.
They rarely fail unless someone messes with them and lose the balls. The two races are cliped together.
Pic is from RockAuto.

-chart-

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OK.... Thanks for your response. I think it is safe to use the bearings that came with my MOOG strut mounts on my OEM Motorcrafts units? Everything is new.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So.... those strut mounts came in, less the crucial bearing. I installed the Ford strut mount with the MOOG bearing.... AWEFUL.

Did some further digging, called a couple stealers and found the correct part #: YF1Z-3B455-AA

Those bearings are listed for $106.93 each, found them online for a lot less, fingers crossed that when they come in they will cure this breaking/groan issue when turning the wheel for good. Ordered these OEM bearings this afternoon.

** NOTE: you can easily re-use the existing strut mount, just replace the bearing.

·
Registered
23,363 Posts
^ Does the groan when turning sound like rubbing an inflated balloon? If so, might look at changing outer tie rod ends.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Had the Motorcraft strut bearings installed. They come inserted into the upper spring seat.

YF1Z-3B455-AA is the correct part number. Smooth and quiet as it should be.

Warning to everyone performing this mod/front strut replacement. DO NO waste your time with anything other than the OEM Motorcraft units, they are MUCH more expensive, but you will have no headaches.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts