Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Concluded that my front end noise is the strut bearing. When I tried the tie rod check ( wiggle the wheel, by the sides) I noticed the strut turned with the wheel, not much, but never seen that before. now, my question is, what is the easiest way to replace these. I know I have to take the strut off, but is there a simple way to do this or do I have to take off the ball joint, tie rod, hub, etc.... I am on a very very limited income, and sice the tie rods are original I dont want to take them off and have to replace them as well just yet....thats in the spring time. Thank you for your help....

·
Registered
112 Posts
You are going to have to compress the spring to get the bearing off. If you don't have the proper equipment to do it, I would have a shop do it

·
Registered
405 Posts
Concluded that my front end noise is the strut bearing. When I tried the tie rod check ( wiggle the wheel, by the sides) I noticed the strut turned with the wheel, not much, but never seen that before....
Not sure what you're describing, but if the strut didn't "turn" you wouldn't be able to steer.

If it is the bearing - on a 16 year old car, you might be better off changing the whole strut assembly than dissassembling and reassembling an old strut assembly for a bearing.

Might be a good idea to take a close look at your springs too.I had 3 springs snap in a month on my 95. I changed out the rears and the front right snapped the next day on my way to work. They can snap high up near the top spring seat where you wouldn't notice them, you wouldn't even lose any ride height, but it could also be a source of a rattle.

If your tight on funds and it is the bearing, you can hold off until you have the funds; the rattle will bug you but it's not really a safety concern.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Rattle gone, the stabilizer bar was hitting the tie rod due to no end links...Thanks all for the advice, loving my bull with no rattle now! :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
MacPherson strut–type front suspensions use an upper suspension strut bearing on top of each front suspension. The hardware kit is required for any strut installation. It consists of the requisite consumable washers.The only challenge to facilitating the bearing replacement is safely compressing the spring.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts