Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2005 Five Hundred limited. AWD CVT 130K. Only 1 shop in 4 would even look at, other three said car too old to work on, drive it till it blows up then junk it,

Took wheel off, everything looks good and solid. Happens when cruiseing 40 mph, not turning, not slowing or accelerating, not turning. About once every 10 to 20 miles.

Bad shock? bad cvc joint? or possible trans?

CVT filter and fluid changed at 60k like manual said. Got 130 K now. Dealer said "Leave it alone now since you haven't changed every 30k like recommended." Recommended when?

Called 4 trans shops and all refused to work on a Ford CVT trans. I'm broke, can't afford new car.

·
Registered
3,536 Posts
Wow, business must be good these days if shops are able to refuse work. I need a better description though. You're saying there's a random vibration and the car slows itself?

·
Registered
80 Posts
The only time I noticed a drag was when the brake caliper kept the brake pads pressed against the brake rotor. Result: the brake rotor became very hot. Cause: the bracket around brake hose was so far rusted that it expanded and thus closed off the hose. The brakes still work (when applying the brakes, the pressure inside the hose becomes so high that no amount of rust could stop the brake fluid from passing) but the brake fluid cannot flow back and so the pads are still engaged. Proper solution: replace the brake hose. Quick solution: cut the bracket with a Dremel and remove it and keep the hose in place with a tie-wrap instead.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did it more severe yesterday. Feels and sounds like a gear slipping in the front right wheel. Traction control problem? CV joint? vibrating out of place brake pad?

·
Registered
10,316 Posts
ABS kicking in?
Had this on Lin Cont, same system. The tone ring on the half shaft was loose and it would spin on braking and cause a false skid reading. ABS can only kick in if the brake pedal is depressed slightly and triggering the rear bk lights. Traction control can kick in any time the speed is within range. How a tone ring comes loose is another issue. Ford tec replaced my half shaft. They said it is not unusual. Lin special case as the speed sensor for cruise and speedo is from average of front wheels. Makes the speedo and cruse funky.
-chart-

1 - 7 of 7 Posts