Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been having vibration and noise issues since I bought my 2013 SE used at the beginning of the year. Based on the condition of the original wheels, the original owner struck a few (many) curbs. I was getting a speed dependent whomping noise and vibration when making sweeping left turns and it eventually turned into vibration at highway speeds. I finally confirmed it was the hub after getting an alignment and changing the brakes. I suspect I could have diagnosed it earlier based on the humming it was making (pointed out by someone else) but it was there since I got the car and I was used to lots of noises from my old car so it didn't jump out at me.

I used the TIMKEN HA590261 from Rockauto for $103.

I put together a full album of the process here: https://imgur.com/gallery/EA9Oj
EDIT: PDF of the process available here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bz-yTQcdMFrGQ09XbTFsV1FtdUk/view

Total time was 2.5 hours.

Everything went smoothly which is definitely a first for car work for me! Best part is, the noise and vibration is gone!! :D

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thank you for putting in the effort of taking the pictures and documenting the process!

When I find these golden nougats, I tend to "print" them as PDF and place them in my DIY folder for future reference for the time that I may need to do the repair.

I do this because you can't always depend on the link being there a year from now...

However, in this case, it isn't as simple as "print" to PDF...for some reason, pictures don't show at all or show only a few...

Is there any way, any chance that this can be converted into a document that shows the pictures and text along with them so it can be saved?

Again, Good Job!

KMN62
2013 SEL
47K miles

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Noisy left turn = faulty rf brg./hub assy., lol!

I should've added and in my defense, it was making the noise while turning right too just not as bad :p It also didn't have any play in the wheel when doing the normal 6-12 shake or 3-9 shake of the wheel. Looking back, I should've just changed the bearing way earlier but oh well.

KMN62, I'll work on putting this into a PDF. Imgur's current policy is that they won't delete images but thats only good if they're still around in 10 years and don't change the policy like Photobucket did with their linked images.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I saved this. Hopefully I never have to use it.

One good thing about FWD is the rear hubs look to be the AWD version, minus the axle of course. So, VERY easy to replace those when you are lacking the axle shafts.

On my Previous Infiniti G37x, I replace each front bearing/hub 2X. Design is similar to the Taurus (I'd imagine all FWD's are similar) but I could not free the bearing from the knuckle with a slide hammer or air chisel. I had to remove the entire knuckle, and either use a press, or reinstall the 4 bolts partially and then strike them from the rear in an X-patter to remove.

Other than that aspect, pretty simply job if the slide hammer would work

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
5 Participants
KMN62
Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
A forum community dedicated to the Ford Taurus and SHO models, Mercury Sable and Lincoln MKS. Join the discussions on EcoBoost, aftermarket performance, and more!
Full Forum Listing