Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I'm a newbie with Taurus's. I've had mine since Aug 08 and I have enjoyed it so far. Recently, my 03 SES has developed an annoying rattle when the front passenger seat is empty. It rattles and I cannot tell if it's the seat itself or the seat back. I double checked the bolts to the floor and they appear okay. I looked at the existing topics and haven't found anything on that, but I'm hoping that I'm not the only one to experience a problem with that. It's extremely annoying when I go over the many bumps in my local roads. Oh...and I really appreciate the "big 3" article on the grounds that need to be redone. That's something I'm going to do soon. Thank you all.
Phil

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
I noticed this about my passenger seat as well. Curious to see what ideas people have. Checked the bolts on my car too.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Ill 3rd this one too. Mine doesn't rattle so much over bumps, but I notice it making noise when I close my driver's side door, my bolts are tight too.... hmm....

·
Registered
147 Posts
Mine does as well....... curious to see people's ideas too. My bolts are tight. It seems like it is the back of the seat and the head rest.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Mine does it too, I just ignore it. It's the headrest. Owned two Tauri and both did it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm not convinced it's the headrest because it doesn't make any noise at all when there's a passenger in the car even if there is no contact with the head rest. I am just having trouble telling if it is the seat or the seat back. I'm not sure how to tighten the seat back. If anyone has any ideas?...
Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
I just went outside and checked the headrest out. It is really loose, in both seats, there is a lot of play in it.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Never had any problem with either my G2 or G3 passenger seat... My mom had a 2001 Explorer Sport and the passenger seat would CONSTANTLY rattle... We had it fixed at the dealer, but like a month later, it started rattling again... There must be a loose bolt somewhere!

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
QUOTE (ledzepfordman @ Apr 5 2009, 03:02 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=715419
I'm not convinced it's the headrest because it doesn't make any noise at all when there's a passenger in the car even if there is no contact with the head rest. I am just having trouble telling if it is the seat or the seat back. I'm not sure how to tighten the seat back. If anyone has any ideas?...
Thanks again.[/b]
I notice that my head rests are always up and when no one sits in the seat they rattle until I put my hand on the head rest then it stops

try that to see if it helps

·
Registered
402 Posts
QUOTE (ledzepfordman @ Apr 5 2009, 04:02 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=715419
Thanks again.[/b]
With no one in the passenger seat the seat back moves slightly as you drive down the road, but the seat back is not loose. The headrest is loose and moves when the seat moves. The headrest is more than likely what's causing your rattle.

In my 94 Taurus the passenger headrest used to constantly rattle. I would raise it up and slam it back down all the way to make sure it was tight. Then the rattle would stop for about a day or so, but it always came back. I eventually just ignored it and got used to it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey everybody. I wanted to write today to let you all know that my seat rattle is gone. First I yanked out the head rest and put it in the back seat. It didn't seem to make the noise go away. I finally had to seek assistance because I could stand it no more. It turns out that it was the bar under the passenger seat that you use to allow the seat to move forward and backward on the track. I give credit to Bill at Bypass Auto Body in Springfield, IL for figuring this out and fixing it. He simply applied enough DOWNWARD pressure to that bar that it bent slightly and all my rattles are gone. Hopefully this tip will allow some of the rest of you to get rid of your annoying rattles too.
Phil

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
QUOTE (ledzepfordman @ Jun 5 2009, 07:27 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=730311
Hey everybody. I wanted to write today to let you all know that my seat rattle is gone. First I yanked out the head rest and put it in the back seat. It didn't seem to make the noise go away. I finally had to seek assistance because I could stand it no more. It turns out that it was the bar under the passenger seat that you use to allow the seat to move forward and backward on the track. I give credit to Bill at Bypass Auto Body in Springfield, IL for figuring this out and fixing it. He simply applied enough DOWNWARD pressure to that bar that it bent slightly and all my rattles are gone. Hopefully this tip will allow some of the rest of you to get rid of your annoying rattles too.
Phil[/b]
well you can do that, or convert to a passenger power seat... :lol2:

glad to hear it got fixed :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts