Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 Taurus, with the 3.0 flex fuel engine. Lately I have noticed that there is a reddish-brown dust all over the front of the engine where the pulleys and belt are. I can hear a scraping sound when the engine is running and I am standing outside the vehicle. I was thinking this might be the A/C compressor clutch on its way out, and maybe its slipping and grinding which might be creating all the dust. The A/C does not blow as cold as it should and the high side hoses don't feel as cold as they should. The compressor engages and keeps spinning, so I don't think that there is a low level of freon. But I was thinking a bad A/C clutch would explain the scraping noise, the warmer than normal A/C and the brown dust. The dust is all over the alternator and all of the pulleys, and I don't think its brake dust..:unsure: The pictures don't show it very good but the first pic (with the power steering pulley) it is most evident.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,609 Posts
I have a 2001 Taurus, with the 3.0 flex fuel engine. Lately I have noticed that there is a reddish-brown dust all over the front of the engine where the pulleys and belt are. I can hear a scraping sound when the engine is running and I am standing outside the vehicle. I was thinking this might be the A/C compressor clutch on its way out, and maybe its slipping and grinding which might be creating all the dust. The A/C does not blow as cold as it should and the high side hoses don't feel as cold as they should. The compressor engages and keeps spinning, so I don't think that there is a low level of freon. But I was thinking a bad A/C clutch would explain the scraping noise, the warmer than normal A/C and the brown dust. The dust is all over the alternator and all of the pulleys, and I don't think its brake dust..:unsure: The pictures don't show it very good but the first pic (with the power steering pulley) it is most evident.
Time to take the belt off and spin things by hand. Find the loose part. Your A/C clutch is not fried yet as the rubber springs do not look melted. (like mine).

-chart-

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Time to take the belt off and spin things by hand. Find the loose part. Your A/C clutch is not fried yet as the rubber springs do not look melted. (like mine).

-chart-
The weird thing is that I worked on this car last summer and replaced the water pump, the power steering pulley and the water pump pulley. I'll have to take the belt off and check again though. The belt is about 6 months old so I know the belt is good. The a/c clutch does engage and stays engaged but I was thinking that maybe it was slipping. And I didnt know there was rubber parts on the clutch...

·
Registered
9,609 Posts
The weird thing is that I worked on this car last summer and replaced the water pump, the power steering pulley and the water pump pulley. I'll have to take the belt off and check again though. The belt is about 6 months old so I know the belt is good. The a/c clutch does engage and stays engaged but I was thinking that maybe it was slipping. And I didnt know there was rubber parts on the clutch...
See pic. The rubber gets hot and in time fails to retract the plate when the power is off. Then it draggs and burns the rubber up. Some ford vehicles use steel springs. My '02 Lin Cont does. It makes a noise when it releases. More reliable in my op. Steel to steel, No rubber.

Something is rubbing making that dust, likely steel powder rusted.

-chart-

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
2 Participants
chartmaker
Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
A forum community dedicated to the Ford Taurus and SHO models, Mercury Sable and Lincoln MKS. Join the discussions on EcoBoost, aftermarket performance, and more!
Full Forum Listing