Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning on replacing one of the front hubs on my son's 97 Taurus today and already have the replacement part but have a couple questions:

It is recommended that I replace the spindle nut but I can not find a new spindle nut in any of the parts stores in my area. Would it be OK to re-use the old one as long as it is torqued to spec?

Also, does anyone know what size this nut is?
(I am going to need to by a socket and would prefer to make one trip to the parts store...)

Lastly, does the hub need to be grease loaded like a typical wheel bearing?

thanks

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
The bearing is sealed and does not need greasing. I always reused the nuts. Nut size is 30mm.

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
Just some tips from my experience:
Soak everything down with penetrating oil a day or 2 before you start the job. The best one I have found yet is 50/50 ATF and acetone. Blows away the brand name stuff.
Get a Pittman arm style tool to disconnect your outer tie rod end and ball joint stud with. Much easier that beating it with a BFH and no chance of damage. You can usually borrow one from an auto parts store (with a deposit), including that huge deep socket you need for the axle nut.
Don't be surprised if something breaks during dis-assembly. I like to have new spare parts on hand before I start. If I don't need it for the job, the store will always take back unused new parts. Like: tie rod ends, sway bar end links, whatever you are disconnecting.
I live in the Salt/Rust belt area. The old hub may be seized quite well into the steering knuckle. I have often needed a lot of heat and a BFH to get an old hub out.
Make sure you clean the knuckle well before reinstalling the new hub and coat it good with never-seize. Coat all threaded parts with it before reassembly for that matter.
You don't need to disconnect the strut from the knuckle but you will need a stout pry bar or length of pipe to pry down on the lower control arm with to get your ball joint stud reseated.
Good luck!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Dan-

I can't even get the lug nuts off- Hulk must have tightened these.. the air impact won't cut it and so I got out the old 4-way and supported the other end with a jack stand so that it was level and then put a 4' pipe over the end of the 4-way. I got the first lug nut to loosen with a lot of force but the 2nd wouldn't budge and hte 4-way is starting to bend a little... I don't have a smoke wrench but maybe I will take it to a mechanice and have him free these up...

Regarding your post, you mentioned ball joint and outer tie rod end... won't that require me to get the front end aligned again?

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
Thanks Dan-

I can't even get the lug nuts off- Hulk must have tightened these.. the air impact won't cut it and so I got out the old 4-way and supported the other end with a jack stand so that it was level and then put a 4' pipe over the end of the 4-way. I got the first lug nut to loosen with a lot of force but the 2nd wouldn't budge and hte 4-way is starting to bend a little... I don't have a smoke wrench but maybe I will take it to a mechanice and have him free these up...

Regarding your post, you mentioned ball joint and outer tie rod end... won't that require me to get the front end aligned again?
If they are only disconnected from the knuckle, alignment shouldn't change. Leave the jam nut on the tie rod end to tie rod alone.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts