Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The engine on my 1994 Ford Taurus GL is leaking oil and there's a blue seal that's slid out of it's seat and is just chilling there letting oil leak through. My motorcycle instructor told me that it's the Front Harmonic Balancer Seal AKA the Front Crankshaft seal. I bought the seal, but I don't trust the Automotive class in my college to repair it for me because they've screwed everything else they've done on that car before. I tried to look up the seal in the service manual I have for the Taurus, but it doesn't say anything about a Harmonic Balancer. Is it hard to replace? Could I do it on my own in my driveway while I'm changing my oil? Or should I just break down and hope to God that Baran's Automotive class doesn't screw up my car again or tell me it's unsafe? Please help!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The engine on my 1994 Ford Taurus GL is leaking oil and there's a blue seal that's slid out of it's seat and is just chilling there letting oil leak through. My motorcycle instructor told me that it's the Front Harmonic Balancer Seal AKA the Front Crankshaft seal. I bought the seal, but I don't trust the Automotive class in my college to repair it for me because they've screwed everything else they've done on that car before. I tried to look up the seal in the service manual I have for the Taurus, but it doesn't say anything about a Harmonic Balancer. Is it hard to replace? Could I do it on my own in my driveway while I'm changing my oil? Or should I just break down and hope to God that Baran's Automotive class doesn't screw up my car again or tell me it's unsafe? Please help!!
[/b]
So one of the kids that I'd been asking said that I have to replace the entire harmonic balancer and I can't just replace the seal. If that's the case why can I buy the seal without the balancer? BTW I can't afford to pay a shop to do this work so it's either I do it myself or I have to steal my car back from Baran

·
Premium Member
918 Posts
In the service manual (if it is like the 96+ manual) under engine>2V>in-vehicle service>Crankshaft Pulley/Damper and Crankshaft Oil Seal
\
I am assuming it is set up the same way.

·
Registered
799 Posts
It's sort of easy to do, depending on your mechanical skills and tools. What you'll need to do is remove the accesory belt (serpentine belt), then remove the 4 screws that hold the crank pulley onto the harmonic balancer. Then, use a puller (you can rent these at Autozone) and remove the harmonic balancer. Once that is off, you'll see the seal. You can use a screwdriver or similar tool to get the old one out, and use a piece of soft scrap wood to install the new one.

Pretty simple, the hardest part will be getting the harmonic balancer off.

Also, the Vulcan engines have been known to push the oil pan gasket out as well. Make sure this is not the problem instead of the crank seal so you don't end up replacing parts you don't need to.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Ya, what Bob said. It's more likely that your oil pan gasket has squeezed out underneath the crank pulley - very common on the 3.0L. I've never seen a crank pulley seal come out of place.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ya, what Bob said. It's more likely that your oil pan gasket has squeezed out underneath the crank pulley - very common on the 3.0L. I've never seen a crank pulley seal come out of place.
Really? I was about to replace my crankshaft seal tomorrow. Maybe I need to look at the pan. I'm confident it's the crankshaft seal because there is alot of burn off from the side of the engine block which is leading me to believe its leaking from the crank seal throwing oil on the belt and causing a nasty burn off smoke. Could leaking from the pan still cause burn off smoke? That's really what is leading me to believe it isnt the pan seal but I'm not particularly experienced with a taurus/ sable like some of these guys who have owned for a long time

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
Really? I was about to replace my crankshaft seal tomorrow. Maybe I need to look at the pan. I'm confident it's the crankshaft seal because there is alot of burn off from the side of the engine block which is leading me to believe its leaking from the crank seal throwing oil on the belt and causing a nasty burn off smoke. Could leaking from the pan still cause burn off smoke? That's really what is leading me to believe it isnt the pan seal but I'm not particularly experienced with a taurus/ sable like some of these guys who have owned for a long time
You necro'd a super old thread but basically the way to tell is if you can see an oil line coming from below the balancer. My 06 had a slight leak from that area, I might be able to find a picture from when I had everything apart. You'll also likely need a speedy sleeve because often when the seal deteriorates it starts cutting a groove in the crankshaft snout and no amount of new seals will stop the leak at that point (unless you sleeve it).

With all that said oil pan leaks are far more common and absolutely will cause smoke/oil burning smell because it will drip on the exhaust. Both of the cars that I've owned with both engines have leaked at that passenger front corner onto the exhaust.

·
Registered
6 Posts
You necro'd a super old thread but basically the way to tell is if you can see an oil line coming from below the balancer. My 06 had a slight leak from that area, I might be able to find a picture from when I had everything apart. You'll also likely need a speedy sleeve because often when the seal deteriorates it starts cutting a groove in the crankshaft snout and no amount of new seals will stop the leak at that point (unless you sleeve it).

With all that said oil pan leaks are far more common and absolutely will cause smoke/oil burning smell because it will drip on the exhaust. Both of the cars that I've owned with both engines have leaked at that passenger front corner onto the left corner of the exhaust...lol that is correct I noticed it was leaking from the pan terribly so I dropped the exhaust removed the pan and installed a new pan seal. Afterwards oI found it was leaking oil from the crank seal. I've heard you have to sleeve it due to snout wear but I should have to worry about that if I buy a whole new assembly for the harmonic correct? Because I'm not going to lie I've already cut the extended shaft off because it was absorbing the force of my air impact. So basically a new assembly I my only way to go at this point but I just cant get the old one out for the life of me I added a photo of the cut and ground down shaft.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.