Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok Guys,

I have replaced the Valve cover gaskets in hopes of stopping an oil leak , Now the leak is not bad but im guessing it can get worse.

I looked under the car and noticed that the oil is back, i looked all over the engine and have found that on the engine next to the firewall if you take your hand and put it way down from the top you can feel oil, Now like i said there is no valve cover leak so im guessing it is comming from the front engine gasket.

Now my questions are

1. Is there something i can do to stop this leak

2. If i have to get it replaced around how much am i looking at money wise.

This is a 1996 Taurus LX 24v DOHC ( Duratec )

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
Did you add a small amount of silicone to the area where the front timing cover and heads meet?

Also the correct tightening procedure is a bit important. Install new valve cover gaskets onto LH valve cover. Tighten valve cover bolts and stud bolts in sequence shown to 8-12 Nm (71-106 lb-in) within six minutes of applying sealer.

Attachments

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes i added the silicone and made sure it was clean before i even thought about putting the valve covers on , I added the silicon and in a matter of 2 minutes the valve cover was on .

I cleaned the area 4 times to make sure and the oil keeps coming back

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yea i put it on stands and there is alot of stuff in the way , are there any other thoughts of what it could be ?

·
Registered
388 Posts
Get a little lip stick type flexible LED flash light while your there. You'll need it ;)
AutoZone has them both very cheap.

Other ideas? Yup. Warped cover, or over torqued if its coming from the valve cover, Blown intake gasket if its coming from the intake, and blown out gasket if its coming form the head :D ( I know LOL! )

1 - 11 of 11 Posts