Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So last summer I replaced the ball joints, tie rods, and stabilizer bars. I got an alignment and got my wheels balanced. I still have some front end vibration on this car. I can feel the vibration in the gas pedal when driving on the highway and also feel it in the steering wheel. Anything you guys can thing of / know of on these cars?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes, summer of 2009. the vibration was there prior to the work. It was worse then - clicking/clunking added from bad strut bar linkage and a severely damaged ball joint. I replaced all these and got my tires balanced at two different places on two different occasions (thinking one place screwed it up...) and the vibration is still there. Its not really bad, but noticeable. I suppose i should rotate my rear wheels to the front to completely eliminate that possibility???? but i'm pretty sure its not the wheels.

Would bad engine mounts cause vibration like this?

·
Registered
405 Posts
As you're driving? Not likely. Good idea to rotate the tires, you might have rolled a belt or done some other damage to one of them. moving them will definitely help eliminate that possibility.

Does it buzz the steering wheel or pedal or rear view mirror? What kind of vibe? Low pitch or buzz? Does it change with speed, how fast? Does it change when you go around a bend?

Not saying I have any answers for you, but if you give better clues maybe someone else will come up with something.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As you're driving? Not likely. Good idea to rotate the tires, you might have rolled a belt or done some other damage to one of them. moving them will definitely help eliminate that possibility.

Does it buzz the steering wheel or pedal or rear view mirror? What kind of vibe? Low pitch or buzz? Does it change with speed, how fast? Does it change when you go around a bend?

Not saying I have any answers for you, but if you give better clues maybe someone else will come up with something.
I'm really bad at describing this type of stuff, but here it goes. I can feel the vibration in the steering wheel and the gas pedal. Rearview is ok. I'm not sure what kind of vibration it is, its just vibrates - feels like an unbalanced wheel(s) on the steering wheel. I only really notice it when i'm on the highway and it does seem to change with speed and it changes when going around a bend. To elaborate, once in a while i dont feel it when the car is going perfectly straight, but then when i have to hold the wheel back (uneven surface for example and the car is pulling) or when i'm going into a wide turn in the highway it will be much more apparent.

Thanks

·
Registered
11 Posts
what about your rotors? i had a warped rotor i had to replace and it did just that, even when i wasnt pressing the brakes, it was just a bad rotor.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Swap tires front/rear. Most likely you ruined a tire internally by riding on the bad ball joint.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i'll try swapping the tires. I forgot to add that I also put on new rotors (the bigger 2001+ 11.6?) and new pads so the rotors aren't warped.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
+1 on rotating the tires. All tires and wheels have a high/low spot. When you mount a tire, you want to match the high spot on the tire with the low spot on the rim, or else you can get a high speed vibration. Other things that can cause vibration would be a bad tire belt, loose ball joint, loose tie rod end, or in my case, warped/worn out rotors (replacing mine soon).

·
Registered
14 Posts
i'll try swapping the tires. I forgot to add that I also put on new rotors (the bigger 2001+ 11.6?) and new pads so the rotors aren't warped.

Did this fix the issue? I have the exact same problem with my 2001.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts