Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our Taurus front end is driving me crazy. Steering into a parking space, slow rate of speed turning, the front end squeaks and moans like crazy. I am really not 100% sure where it is coming from. I thought maybe the strut bearing plates but can be sure. The struts are about a year old. I also noticed at highway speeds if I turn the wheel slightly in either directing I can feel a kinda slight thump. Any ideas or recommendations on where to look would be appreciated. Thanks. Jim

·
Registered
562 Posts
+1 on the tie rod ends but could also be ball joints. Jack it up and check the wheel for play in either direction. You might need another person to watch the joints and listen (be sure to use jack stands properly). Good luck and let us know what you find out.

·
Registered
23,392 Posts
The low speed turn moan (sounds similar to an inflated balloon rub) is almost assuredly outer tie rod ends. People have suggested spraying silicone lube or white lithium grease inside the blk. rubber boot at the base of the steering column or pouring oil down through the holes in the top of the strut towers, but neither has worked for me. The thump very well could be a ball joint or a sway bar stab(end) link. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
What usually happens the seals break on the ball joints, and tie rod ends, the grease leaks out, and then you have noises. If it turns out to be one, or all of those items, replace them with ones that have zerk grease fittings, so that every other oil change you can put fresh grease into them so they last longer. The thumping sound on the hwy is not good, I would check for ply in the balljoints, if those fail, the control arm will fall off, and can cause a accident.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts