Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

Front end shimmy when braking

7K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  GL96 
#1 ·
Hi All:

I have a '96 GL. When traveling at highway speeds, the front end shimmies pretty bad when I step on the brake to slow down. If I brake hard, the shimmy doesn't seem as bad if I brake hard.

I pulled the wheels this morning and noticed that the passenger side tie rod end is loose...that will be changed in the morning. Is there anything else that I should look for? Also, any suggestions regarding manufacturer for the replacement part?

Thanks in advance.

Glenn

Discussion starter · #7 · (Edited)
Hi All:

Thanks for all the responses to my poorly written question.

Anyway, I replaced the outer tie rod on the passenger side today, and a lot of the shimmy seems to have stopped. I did notice that the lower ball joints are worn and loose...I guess they will be the next project along with the front brakes. Rear brakes are fine. Rebuilt them last year new rotors etc.

Any tips or suggestions regarding the lower ball joints? This one looks to be a real umm..lets just say challenge.

Would a bad tranny mount cause the front end to shimmy like that?

Thanks again

Glenn

Discussion starter · #11 ·
I agree about replacing the rotors when doing the brakes. It seems that every ounce the manufactures can save helps in the overall mpg for any given auto. It's all incremental. A few ounces here and there add up. Hence..thin rotors that aren't worth the trouble to turn.

Further inspection on the front end...lots of work to do. Lower ball joints, drivers side tie rod end and so on.

Again, thanks to all who responded.

Glenn

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.