Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The front end shaking worse than charlie sheen in rehab. The mechanic and I did the front suspension, all of it except the endlinks. The shake is really noticeable when you're on the gas pedal. When you lay off it dwindled down. Right turn seem a little worse off than left turns.
Parts that were replaced: Tie rods inner and outer, Ball joints, strut and coil assembly

Any ideas what would cause the massage throughout the car?

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
I'm sure you did wheel alignment after replacing tie rods and struts. How could they not notice such a bad shaking? I would take the car back

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No alignment done yet. With weight in the car the shimmy is greatly reduced. The mechanic seems to think it's just in need of an alignment. He had the foresight to remove the cv joint before pulling everything out. Actually removing the cv joint nut took off the longest time.

So I'll wait to get an alignment and post back.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Maybe one of your front wheels is out of balance? Sometimes the little weights the tire shop places on the wheels (to balance the wheel as it rotates) falls off and then the wheel is all out of balance. Maybe worth a look or investigation. Ive had it happen to one of my cars before.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Maybe one of your front wheels is out of balance? Sometimes the little weights the tire shop places on the wheels (to balance the wheel as it rotates) falls off and then the wheel is all out of balance. Maybe worth a look or investigation. Ive had it happen to one of my cars before.

Thanks, but a tire out of balance would usually represent itself in the steering wheel shimmying at speeds. Bad brakes/rotors usually are representative of steering wheel shake when brakes are applied.

This shake/shimmy is when on the gas and felt throughout the car, the steering wheel does not shake/shimmy.

When weight is in the car (another person sitting in the passenger side) the shake/shimmy goes away. With only one person in the car driving, the shake/shimmy is quite bad.

Since all the parts minus the endlinks have been replaced, it's more than likely the alignment issue.

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
go back and make double sure all nuts and bolts are tight. The symptom you describe almost sounds like that of a worn strut rod bushing, but it shows you have a genIII, could possibly be a worn lower control arm bushing. And as was stated it COULD be a tire

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Gen4 actually. And yes, the Lower Control Arm bushing were not replaced this weekend.

I'm having a hard time tracking down the strut rod bushings and where they exist on the front suspension. RockAuto seems to only have the strut rod bushings for the rear of the suspension. Do they exist up front as well?

·
Cake monster
1,584 Posts
Gen4 actually. And yes, the Lower Control Arm bushing were not replaced this weekend.

I'm having a hard time tracking down the strut rod bushings and where they exist on the front suspension. RockAuto seems to only have the strut rod bushings for the rear of the suspension. Do they exist up front as well?
I'm not well versed in the 2nd suspension design, but I think rude means that the strut rod was a feature on the 2nd gen, while the control arm would be a possible cause on a newer gen.

http://www.taurusclub.com/forum/82-...ront-end-rebuild-questions-2.html#post1615072

1 - 10 of 10 Posts