Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just like the title says.

I'm coming down the home stretch, but when I thread the nut on the ball joint it binds on the threads about a 1/4" before it seats. There's no way to hold the stud in place while I start to torque the nut. The only place to hold it is on the rubber section that contains the grease.

I thought there might be an allen wrench in the tip of the stud, but there isn't

NO idea how I'll get 60 lb-ft on it.

·
Registered
23,349 Posts
Once i had to squeeze a wrench or grips above or below the nut (cant remember) until i got past the rough spot and was snug enough not to spin anymore. Howdy fellow jayhawk! Im glad the pigskin season is over and hoops are here! Happy Holidays!

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the tip.

I ended up just prying up on the a-arm w/a 2' bar to load the bj while turning the nut. Simple and effective.

Not a huge KU fan. 50-50 KSU/KU.

No kidding on the FB season. I had the privelage (if you want to call it that) of going to the A&M game this yr...not pretty.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I am a total chicken and would never do my own ball joints. For me, that job is once in an ownership and I rather pay to have them done. I don't have any facilities to do much mechanical work.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
it's back together.
I gave myself a christmas present of taking it for a test drive this morning.
It's a lot better, but the alignment is so far out I can't really get a feel for it yet.
The good news is the front end should be good to go for another 100k or so.

I would say ball joints aren't for the timid, but if you don't mind the work and have a little mechanical will power it's weekend well spent IMO.

All the req'd specialty tools can be rented for no cost and you can save yourself -- I don't know -- $300-500 in labor.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts