Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car's front end suspension developed a strange rattling sound immediately after the day when a shop replaced its steering gear. After an inspection, mechanics told me that the plastic endlinks need to be replaced. After replacing this part, the noise still persists. The mechanics raised the car again looked carefully all over the place for about half hour. They swear that everything looks right and the car is safe to drive, but they could not identify the source of the noise. Any ideas what going on? They only suggested that the lower ball joints may be making this noise or some rubber part that holds the sway bar, but they weren't sure. Either way, there is no way to tell for sure and replacing those parts is ridiculously expensive in terms of labor time.

I think the sound is very similar to the one in the video here

http://www.taurusclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=79655

·
Premium Member
9,959 Posts
Ball joints and strut mounts are likely culprits. It's possible that the recent service expedited their impending failure. Check subframe mounts too.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Sounds like your "mechanic" either left something loose or doesn't know what the hell he's doing. Could be bad links that were installed, or installed incorrectly (some are side specific/ top and bottom specific, which honestly I didn't notice for the first maybe 50 pairs I replaced, oops). I had a slight rattle in my front end I chased for about a year, not looking all the time, just when I got really annoyed. Finally found the crack in the sway bar bracket, replaced the bar for 40 bucks (oem, I get good deals on parts).

If I were you, I'd tell that guy the noise wasn't there unitl he touched the car, and you spent the money to replace links that didn't fix the problem, so now he needs to make your car priority and get rid of that noise or you'll go to the bbb. If he finds the issue, don't have him fix it. Come back here and we'll tell you how to do it.

·
Premium Member
5,895 Posts
Check your sway bar itself for play. The mount bushings on the sub-frame do wear over time and the bar is then able to rattle in the bushings causing a clunk/rattle. To check this just grab the sway bar and try and jerk it back and forth. Also if you're on a smooth road with no one around, try making the car weave back and forth at a somewhat decent pace. If the sway bar is loose you will hear the noise.

·
Registered
809 Posts
MY Bull also clunks over bumps, kinda gives it that old car/ old man feel! :lol2: Seriously I have to get her on the jack stands soon
and trace down the issue myself. My job has been mandatory overtime lately so I have zero time to check it out.

I will follow this thread as im interestd in your results also. Thanks, and good luck with this issue.

OH I did read that the coils on the coil springs up front on Monroe quick struts hit each other over bumps making clunk noises sometimes.
:dunno: Another member put heater hose on the offending coils and the noise was gone. FYI

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
If they removed the sway bar links to do the work they did more than likely they hastened their demise.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hello.

Well, it seems like I have identified the source of this annoying sound in my car finally! I jacked up the passenger side of my car, took off the wheel and jerked every visible suspension part, joint, arm, etc, with my hand. And lo and behold! It was the new plastic endlink again! The upper nut was not tightened at all, which allowed about 1 millimetre of movement. Moving the endlink produced surprisingly loud metallic noise. I did the same with the drivers side wheel, and the endlink nut on the other side was tight and did not produce any movement or noise at all. I tightened the passenger side nut and the noise disappeared. I am surprised that people at the repair shop did not look into this. In the end, it seems like the most obvious thing to check. In fact, you don't even need to take the wheel off or jack up the car. I could just grab the endlink and jerk it around with the wheel on my car and hear the same noise.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts