Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!
I have an 01 Taurus w/ vulcan. 187K on chassis new ball joints and new tie rods. I have a clunking/bumping noise when going over bumps. My struts do not seem bad, and despite the noise the suspension feels fine, yet I have no clue what it is. I am leaning towards motor mounts or subframe bushings....any ideas?? I am poor lol, so I can't replace everything sadly.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I had the same. I had the subframe bushins replaced and it was gone. While the dealer was in there they went ahead and changed the front struts and ball joints however. Car rides like new.

SUP

·
Registered
23,353 Posts
Obviously, if they are visibly broken. Remove wheel and grab and shake (twist) with your hand to check for excessive play (movement).

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Obviously, if they are visibly broken. Remove wheel and grab and shake (twist) with your hand to check for excessive play (movement).
ok, I will try this. Today I went to get an alignment, and turns out the inner tie rods are bad. I bought the parts, now would these cause the cllunking? I heard it outside the car today and I think its the end links because it sounded plasticy...lol.

·
Registered
833 Posts
I used to work for a couple ford dealers. Even grabbing the bar and shaking up and down may not give you the feel of play in the sway bar link joints. Just replace them, they're cheap enough and it's easy to do. They go bad so often, if the noise isn't from them, they'll go bad soon enough anyway and it's a good place to start. I chased a noise in one particular taurus, swore it wasn't the links, replaced the struts, with new mounts... it was a shitshow, ended up throwing links in it, noise was gone...

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks all, I am replacing the links next payday, and will keep you updated. I wiggled them and one had a lot of play, but I am almost positive thats the problem because it does not matter how severe or slight the bump the noise does not change....

·
Registered
833 Posts
Any play in the link will cause a helluva clunk. So, yes, that's your noise. kinda off subject... well not really, but anyway, I chased a noise in my own taurus for a while, convinced myself it was links. Replaced them, still heard a clunk. Eventually after quite a long timeof searching (glad this wasn't a customer's car) I found the bracket on the sway bar had small crack in it. These bars' bushings and brackets are not removable, part of the bar, so I replaced the bar and viola, the noise is gone. Just a little story.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I noticed that when I had the clunking sound, that it did not clunk when I was going around a curve in the road at a fast enough speed to have the car leaning. That is when when a load is put on the swaybar links and they can't clunk as easily. So I changed the sway bar links and clunk is gone. Find a bumpy curve (entrance and exit loops to freeways are good) and see if the clunking goes away. It might give you a better idea of what could be wrong.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I noticed that when I had the clunking sound, that it did not clunk when I was going around a curve in the road at a fast enough speed to have the car leaning. That is when when a load is put on the swaybar links and they can't clunk as easily. So I changed the sway bar links and clunk is gone. Find a bumpy curve (entrance and exit loops to freeways are good) and see if the clunking goes away. It might give you a better idea of what could be wrong.

Sounds kinda fun, I think I will do that today....Just a few more days till pay day, then I can get them fixed

·
Registered
18 Posts
FYI, It appears this was a common enough problem to issue a Technical Service Bulletin.

TSB data for: 2000 MERCURY SABLE
Bulletin Number: 8199
Sequence Number: 612411
Date: 20000201
Component Name: 021100
SUSPENSION:FRONT:STABILIZERBAR
Make: MERCURY
Model: SABLE
Year: 2000
Summary:SOME VEHICLES MAY EXHIBIT A RATTLING OR CLUNKING NOISE FROM THE FRONT END (FRONT STABILIZER LINK) UNDER NORMAL DRIVING CONDITIONS.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have replaced the end links with metal ones (Deeza brand) and the noise is gone, and man this car loves corners now!! Sweet! Thanks for everones help!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts