Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

I am experiencing a pull to the right and a quick pull back and forth in the steering wheel of my 2004 Taurus. I am sure the alignment is off but I am not sure what is causing the quick pull back and forth. I do not have a lot of experience with front wheel drive vehicles. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

AFCOP84

·
Premium Member
9,959 Posts
Could be a few things, but usually when a vehicle pulls erratically back and forth like that, a steering or suspension component is broken. Any noises?

Raise and support the front end. Grasp the wheel at 12 and 6, rock back and forth. Next, do the same at 3 and 9. There should be no play, looseness, or noise. You can remove the wheel and inspect the components for damage or wear.

·
Premium Member
918 Posts
Possibly a bad tie rod end or other component like a ball joint.

Or you can take it to a reputable alignment place and tell them you issues. Ask them to check the components (they should do that without being asked) Tell them you don't have a lot of extra money to spend on it at the moment (which seems to be true for the majority of us) and just wondering if something is in dire need of replacement.

Tierod ends are easy to replace. Ball joints are a little more in depth as you have to take the axle out of the hub to be able to get the tool in to press them out.

Wheel balance may be possible also depending on the steering wheel shimmy.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks all. No noises. I did jack the car up and tried to move the front tires as stated. I got no movement from the 6 and 12 or the 3 and 9. I inspected and saw so damage or excess wear. Everything looked ok but that does not mean anything. I am defintely not an expert at new cars.

I will be taking it in to a shop to determine what it could be. I really appreciate the responses. Take care

AFCOP84 :D

·
Premium Member
10,022 Posts
A loose swaybar endlink will cause similar issues as well as a clunking noise when the suspension articulates. Inner or outer tie rod ends will also cause issues like you describe.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Have you checked the tranny fluid level?

Extremely low tranny fluid can result in the symptom you describe.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I will look at all of these. At least if nothing else I can eliminate these as possible issues. If you can think of anything else let me know.

Thanks all. :thumb:

·
Registered
600 Posts
Have you checked the tranny fluid level?

Extremely low tranny fluid can result in the symptom you describe.
[/b]
sorry but the word symptom sounds funny for a car. I've never heard it used before. Not to be mean.
:angryfire: :angryfire:
:tcca_small: :tcca_small:

i had a simliar problem with that, but it was more of a shaking when i hit the brake. I cant think of what the part was that went bad but i know it was a disk something. My mind has gone blank on me for the moment, if anyone can help me out it would be awesome. If you dont think it is the alignment, then idk if the disk would be a problem.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I took it in to the shop. It turns out rudedog is correct. The front left tire is bad. I am getting two new tires and an alignment to correct the problem. Thanks for your assistance.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts