Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
High guys,

First off thanks for reading this and any assistance. I just took my car to a certified mechanic and had him fix the lower ball joints in the front end as another shop that did some trans line work had told me they were ready to fall apart. He did the job for a total of 274. Anyhow since he has done them I have noticed at low speed there is a slight metal sliding noise at low speed. At high speed on turns there is a very apparent grind, much more than before I took the car in. I told him about the problem and he said it could just be the metal shield by the rotor.

Anyhow I am low on money and wondering what these symptoms lead too. He said something about the front wheel bearing is it possible that something was done wrong with the ball joints that is causing this? Did the bearings magically get worse when the car was worked on? It is much more noticeable a grind than ever before, even audible. Finally if it is wheel bearings how much you think I am looking at and how bad a job?

Thanks for the help,

Mark

·
Premium Member
5,895 Posts
First thing I'd do is take a look at the backing plate on the front rotor. Those can easily get bent inward and lightly touch the rotor. When taking a turn, there is enough movement in the rotor to cause it to rub the backing plate thus causing a grind/rubbing noise. To fix that just bend the plate away from the rotor. If you had a wheel bearing gone you'd have more of a humming noise.

·
Premium Member
5,895 Posts
Yup, you'd have a humming noise when driving at highway speeds. The frequency of the humming would get faster as vehicle increases speed. When taking a turn the noise will get louder or quieter, depending how the load changes on the bearing.

·
Premium Member
902 Posts
Wheel bearings usually 'speak' to you through turning first. Whichever the outside wheel of a turn is when you hear the noise is the culprit - i.e. if you are turning left, the right wheel is the outside of the turn radius.

Also, sometimes when ball joints are worn, the spindles will take a 'set' and droop a bit. This will allow the wheel bearing races to run a little sloppy, which can quiet up an otherwise loose bearing. When you replace the ball joints, it pulls the spindle back up into its original position and takes the misalignment out of the wheel bearing, allowing it to growl.
Chances are that your wheel bearings were tired in the first place, got loosened up by the bad ball joints, and are now making noises since you brought them back into line with the new parts.

Price? not sure off the top of my head. How hard? - pretty hard, you need to get the spindles off the axles.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts