Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2000 LX Vulcan 127000. Bought at 122000 from SC DOT. Vehicle has clearly been well maintained.

For the last month or so I have been noticing noises from the front end...two distinct sounds, which may be related or not.

First noise occurs constantly, a high pitched chirping from both sides when driving. Chirping varies with speed. I'm thinking wheel bearings? How 'bout you folks?

Second noise is a jangly sounds when I hit small bumps like the reflectors in the lines painted on the road. The sound is a cross between a tambourine and a cartoon spring.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-az in SC

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
QUOTE (rudedog @ Jun 19 2009, 05:46 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=733620
1, make sure the chirping isn't coming from the rear of the intake manifold area. It could very easily be the cam synchro assembly.
2, this could be ANYTHING, I suggest starting under the hood and just start wiggling stuff to see if it's loose. From there go under the car, then if you still have not found it, pull the wheels, if you still have not found it, you may want to think of making or buying some mechanics ears. At the very least you'll know exactly what kind of condition your car is in from top to bottom.[/b]
Chirping only occurs whhile car is in motion. Would that eliminate the cam synchro assembly?

What is/are mechanics ears? I tried looking it up to no avail.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh, detail I left out: About 6 weeks ago, I replaced the sway bar links with Moog aftermarket vs Ford OEM (Moog=steel with grease fittings; Ford =plastic with none). I had a struggle getting the nuts on tight as the bolt turns with the nut. Both noises seemed to appear about two weeks after installation of the new links. It just dawned on me that the could be the source of the noised. Input?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts