Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1995 GL with vulcan, Passenger side front wheel makes a clunk occasionally when hitting bump or going down rough road. Know for sure its not endlinks as I bought the car with them off and have yet to put new ones on. I am thinking strut bushing as the tie rods and ball joints passed the wheel wiggle test. it has 131K. thanks for the help....

·
Registered
405 Posts
open the hod - stand in front of the car and bounce the crap out of it - watch the top of the strut tower - if it's the strut mount you'll notice it.

·
Registered
215 Posts
My 92 sable also had an intermittent clunk from the pass front. Mine turned out to be a wheel bearing out of adjustment on the drivers side. The axle nut had backed off and was excessive play in the bearing. Retorqued the axle nut and haven't had the issue since. That clunk did develop into an annoying vibration before I figured it out...

Jeff

·
Registered
10,952 Posts
My 92 sable also had an intermittent clunk from the pass front. Mine turned out to be a wheel bearing out of adjustment on the drivers side. The axle nut had backed off and was excessive play in the bearing. Retorqued the axle nut and haven't had the issue since. That clunk did develop into an annoying vibration before I figured it out...

Jeff
Nut getting loose is rare. Likely never properly tightened to start, or something failed to seat properly. Those nuts are self locking and really tight on torque.

Good catch on you diag.:)

As to not getting everything done properly, like checklist!

Put a new wiper blade on last pm. Today misting rain and I turned it on. HORRIBLE. Got out and checked and I had not taken the protective plastic off the rubber.

OK that was yesterday's error. Already had today's. Mis-spelled Logitech for download software. Got a "mimic" site with advertising.

Ready for tomorrow's ERROR!:angry:

-chart-

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well, I will check the axle nut, it has a newer cv shaft on it, and the people I bought it off of were not the smartest people in the world.

I bounced the car today and the center nut area of the strut did move, but not all that much, but heard a light click coming from that area when doing it...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Had a similar noise in my '93 GL. The front mounting point of the strut rods were worn. A little welding and new bushings solved the problem.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well due to the horrible weather conditions of Ohio, I have been unable to look at it further, however, it is getting a lot worse. I am thinking strut too, I notice when the wheel slips on wet pavement and braking hard it makes its clunk as well. Do most shops offer a free inspection???

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
Well due to the horrible weather conditions of Ohio, I have been unable to look at it further, however, it is getting a lot worse. I am thinking strut too, I notice when the wheel slips on wet pavement and braking hard it makes its clunk as well. Do most shops offer a free inspection???
Only if you pay for the recommended work.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I'm not specifically familiar with the pre 96 chassis, but I had an annoying clunk I chased for several weeks. On the advice of a shop I have a lot of respect for I spent around $100 and several hours replacing a cv axle which did not solve the problem.

It turned out to be a badly worn front sub-frame bushing. Mine was the driver's side which would have been easily detected had I taken the 5 min to remove the splash guard.

·
Registered
10,952 Posts
I'm not specifically familiar with the pre 96 chassis, but I had an annoying clunk I chased for several weeks. On the advice of a shop I have a lot of respect for I spent around $100 and several hours replacing a cv axle which did not solve the problem.

It turned out to be a badly worn front sub-frame bushing. Mine was the driver's side which would have been easily detected had I taken the 5 min to remove the splash guard.
Good second take!

Thanks.

My daughter's 98 Taurus went in under warrenty for a thump. Ford garage replaced the lower control arm. She had me drive it and it was still there. Thump thump etc. She took it back and they replaced the end link to the sway bar and that was it. Guess they should have looked first.

Somehow, replacing parts comes first at most garages, including factory warrenty. Ford garage replaced on my Linc Cont under warrenty, rack and pinion, PS pump, hoses, control valves and filter and still did not fix the PS loss of power near the end of travel. Then I asked about the belt.

Moment of silence on the phone!
Then the "I'll get back to you"!

Yep factory belt glazed, hard as a piece of wood.

When someone else is paying, throw parts at it.

Not on my nickel

So now I do this: look at the easiest to check, like the BELT and tensioner. For noise, poor charging or poor PS.

For clunks. look pry, look, pry etc.

Glad you got your thump fixed.

-chart-

1 - 14 of 14 Posts