Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
as I am from Germany there may be some mistakes in my English, so please excuse me for that. I am currently planning to build in a new stereo installation in my 1999 Taurus station. I will order the Scosche install kit, which I like more than the Metra kit. They always sell this for 1996 and up but will the harness which is included fit my 1999? I want to use a Blaupunkt Acapulco MP52 headunit because they do the best tuners and have the best remote control for an installation on the steering wheel. (I never understood for what I need a remote control which is as small as a credit card and much more difficult to use than use the headunit buttons directly) Than I want to built in a 2-way system into the front door. (not coaxial) but now I found out that the place on the door/ window (don´t know the right word) where, so I thought, the tweeter should be mounted hasn`t any holes in it. It is just a piece of plastic which looks like a mounted tweeter. Is there anything that fits this problem? Than I want to mount in the 2 subwoofer instead of the 6x8 (or is it 5x7?) I thought about using an 4-channel amp.
Would be happy for any help.
Greetings,
Holger

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
Hey Holger-
The Scosche kit does include all necessary wiring harnesses to hook up a stereo for all years from 1996-1999. The wiring and faceplate were changed for the 2000 model year, so there is a different kit for the 00-04 models. You just need to make sure that you have manual climate controls, meaning that there aren't pushbuttons for the air conditioning, heat, etc. As long as you have dial style controls, you'll be able to use the Scosche kit. If you have the digital controls, you won't be able to use anything without a very tedious and involved installation process that I don't think anyone has perfected yet.

As for the speakers, you're best bet is to get a set of components with a 6.5" woofer and tweeters. The 6.5" woofer (if it's already a two way coaxial) will give you better sound imaging up front, and the tweeters will add to that. For the tweeter pod, near the edge of the window, you can go to a junkyard and find any Taurus from model year 96-99 with the Mach audio system, and it will have the tweeter pods in there. Remove them, and they will bolt directly to where the little plastic pieces are in your car. Polk/Momo make very good component kits, as do Infinity, Kenwood, and Audiobahn.

As for the rear speakers, you shouldn't go with two subwoofers in the rear deck lid. The first reason being that free-air subwoofers don't sound particularly good compared to regular subs, second being that it is difficult to mount an 8" or 10" speaker in a hole made for 6x8"s. You'd be much better off getting a set of quality 6x9" speakers and mounting them from the bottom than getting two free air subs. You'll be much happier with the 6x9's in terms of sound quality and loudness. This will provide you with a good amount of bass, and you can still upgrade to an external subwoofer if you want to. Our cars are really easy to wire subs into, so running the wires for amps is not really a problem. I would suggest running the front speakers (components) off the four channels of your head unit, then running the rear speakers off an external 2 channel amp. If you want subs, get a two channel amp and either bridge the two channels into one for a mono sub setup, or use both channels for a setup with two 10" subs. Keep in mind that any box you build or buy will take up a pretty good amount of space in your trunk, but you'll be very happy with the sound quality. I have an Infinity 12" sub, and it's great. I really like it, and I'd recommend it to you if you're looking for a decent all around sub for less than 100 bucks.

Everything you do depends on your budget. If you're willing to spend the money, you can make a great audio system. If you have any further questions, feel free to private message me.

JR

1 - 2 of 2 Posts