Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few year back (2-3?) I have replaced the front struts with KYB Strut Plus assemblies (spring+shock). I had new tires. The newer struts are much more stiffer than the ones that where on the car... but I can't tell if they are stiffer than a new car because I never had one.

Well, now, the inner part of front tires is worn badly. The car drives straight, so I assume it is because of camber angles. This is how the top of the towers look like - to me it seems that they are already "pushed" to the max.
Is there a solution?

Attachments

·
Registered
6,579 Posts
You can drill out the spot welds and oval out the holes in the tower where the mount bolts to. That will give you more camber. If the tires are both worn on inside on both then the strut mounts are the way to bring it in. That is how the Ford Manual instructs it to be done. If only on one maybe the subframe shifted a little.

Attachments

·
Registered
197 Posts
My advice is to have the alignment checked; never make any assumptions based on visual. Too much toe-out can cause the same wear. If the camber is out of spec; then is the time to drill out spot welds and move strut tower plates.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
The wheels look "slanted" by eye, that's why I assumed is camber.
So those alignment marks that I see cannot be moved without drilling out the weld spots? It's a pain to drill under the cowl area... @Automender12345 What kind of drill bit did you use there? It didn't penetrate the bottom side.

·
Registered
6,579 Posts
The wheels look "slanted" by eye, that's why I assumed is camber.
So those alignment marks that I see cannot be moved without drilling out the weld spots? It's a pain to drill under the cowl area... @Automender12345 What kind of drill bit did you use there? It didn't penetrate the bottom side.
I agree with the previous post and have the alignment checked but I have always "drilled" out the plates before I have taken them to the alignment place. The first time, 20 years ago, I paid $25 to have each side done and they did a rush job and it looked crappy. They use a pneumatic chisel on the back welds.

I use a Harbor Freight spot weld drill on the front welds and a carbide burr in a die grinder for the rear welds. If you remove the cowl you can reach more with the spot weld drill.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,614 Posts
Camber will not be off unless something happened. That something needs fixed. That before offsetting one error for another. 2 wrongs do not make a right.
Camber is mis-aligned by:
Strut as in bent shaft.
Ball joint bad.
Lower control arm bad.
Body damage.
So, fist issue is what went bad?

-chart-

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well... front was in an accident, but it was straight-on and didn't bent the subframe.
Ball joints where replaced the same time with the new struts (circa 2-1/2 or 3 years ago) and I had a hell of the time to take the old ones out, had to use a torch. Previous owner broke off the ends of them (my guess ussing a hammer trying to take them out).
Maybe that's the culprit, for now I had put two used tires on front, until I go around to do a real check.
@automenter12345 - thanks for the idea with the carbide burr in a die grinder. Don't have any of those, but I have a 20% off HF coupon :D

·
Premium Member
1,522 Posts
Subframe to body alignment can be off from accident to affect camber. Struts tops are body mounted vs lowers mounted to subframe components.

·
Registered
9,614 Posts
Well... front was in an accident, but it was straight-on and didn't bent the subframe.
Ball joints where replaced the same time with the new struts (circa 2-1/2 or 3 years ago) and I had a hell of the time to take the old ones out, had to use a torch. Previous owner broke off the ends of them (my guess ussing a hammer trying to take them out).
Maybe that's the culprit, for now I had put two used tires on front, until I go around to do a real check.
@automenter12345 - thanks for the idea with the carbide burr in a die grinder. Don't have any of those, but I have a 20% off HF coupon :D
Used tires are not a bad deal if there is a JY near. Pic my last take, $30 per and they were off the car and on the office rack. No labor for me.:lol2:
Also that includes $10 core but it has to have no tire on it. As for now, I have 2 7 spoke with tires about past use, and these to go on so total of 4 out of service. Also gave 2 away while back, average wheel condition 7 spoke. I have my eye on JY intake for G4 Taurus with the 5 spoke wheels so might get a match of 4 for my sedan. Watching their web site.

Tires in the pic, 7/32" tread GY tires, wheels 90% perfect visual.

-chart-

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
5 Participants
chartmaker
Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
A forum community dedicated to the Ford Taurus and SHO models, Mercury Sable and Lincoln MKS. Join the discussions on EcoBoost, aftermarket performance, and more!
Full Forum Listing