Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's the deal, whoever owned the car before me had the front bumper repainted (for some unknown reason) and its like a shade darker than the whole rest of the car and it has always bothered the hell out of me.

Yesterday I was at the self car wash using the power washer and cleaning the heck out of my car and when i was spraying the front bumper the paint started flaking off in a few spots and the color beneath the darker color is the correct color of the car!... and i realized that whoever painted it did not even sand it or prime it obviously which is why its flaking off.

Is there a way to remove the top layer of paint without harming the bottom?
Or could I sand the whole bumper down and then buy color match paint from www.automotivetouchup. in the spray can and spray it?

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Run it through the car wash a few more times.:rofl2:
:lol: Good response!

Go ahead and do the job right David. Sand it all down, fill in spots, prime, paint and clear...

Unless you plan on dumping the car in the near future, then you could just do it like the previous dude.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Sorry, but that darker top coat's gotta come off. Sound's like the original surface wasn't prepped correctly, and probably just shot with some off the shelf non-flexable Dupli-Color touch up laquer. Thing's will only get worse until you fix thing's properly. Best thing is to have a paint shop with a computer scanning paint match system take care of it. If saving a few buck's, leave the bumper at an automotive paint supplier for a few day's to mix up a closely matched quart. Make sure the the paint you get is rated as flexable. If using a quick/easy laquer, you can get a flexative additive that look's like a liquid contact cement glue. Should work fine. Probably more work than you first thought, but sometime's not that easy clean up somebody else's screw up.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts