Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had known that I was going to need my brake pads (and possibly rotors, I don't know exactly how the braking system works) replaced. I got an oil change at Meineke, expecting to hear the sales pitch from the mechanic. So he did his dramatic pitch, and he basically priced out the front pads (semi-metallic) and rotors for ~$400 total including labor. So, speaking from experience, can anyone tell me if i am able to get a better deal elsewhere? I know a mechanic that does work for $40 a hour, obviously this will be cheaper but how cheap can I get it without compromising that much on quality (do NOT want ridiculously squeaky brakes)

Oops just realized I put it in Maintenance instead of Brakes.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Go to Rockauto.com get the rotors and pads for about 150 then have your mechanic put them on and save 200 and have great brakes.

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
holy crap i spent 350 to upgrade my front brakes (rotors/pads/caliper brackets) and to do a rear disc swap (calipers/rotors/pads/cables/backing plates/bearings) though i did all the work myself and get a discount on parts. i have never heard of a 400 front brake job (for just pads and rotors anyway)... shouldnt take more than half an hour per side they are pretty easy.

actually i was just looking on NAPA's website and you should be able to get the equivalent of what they were offering to put on your car for under 100
plus say you pay for 2 hours of labor @ about 70 dollars an hour thats only 240 total

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
I did my front rotors and pads last week. $90 for parts at Advance Auto.

·
Premium Member
1,557 Posts
QUOTE (ntwrkguy1 @ May 23 2010, 09:50 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=806405
QUOTE (drh1957 @ May 23 2010, 09:16 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=806371
I did my front rotors and pads last week. $90 for parts at Advance Auto.[/b]
+1

I picked up new rotors and ceramic pads for my '01 for $100 from AA. $400 is WAY out of line for a front brake job on a Taurus!
[/b][/quote]

I don't really do that much work to my car anymore, don't even do oil changes, but one thing I still do are front brakes. It sounds scary when I tell people I do them, but they're pretty easy to do. Basically 4 bolts once the wheel is off per side. Only tricky thing might be getting the old rotor off or a tight bolt, but if you have the tools, it's pretty straight forward. I think my record for doing them was about an hour, but it typically takes 1.5 to 2 hours to do if you take your time. Like others said, a new set of rotors and pads should be under $100. One of the easiest jobs that will save you the most money.

·
Registered
955 Posts
I agree with what everyone has said thus far.

2 things have stood out though.

First, front brake jobs are probably the easiest to do and really hard to screw up. It can save you a boat load of money as well. There are several write-ups in the Topic Finder, but for ease and convenience here is one such write-up: GenIV Front Brake Job

Second, if after reading that write-up you still don't feel comfortable, then do what was suggested very early on in the thread. Order your parts online and pay your mechanic to do them. It should not cost any more than 2 hours worth of labor, and that is working slowly.

A couple of tips. When ordering your parts go with American made rotors. I know that some of the rotors and drums in the last few years coming from China have been poorly manufactured.

Get some good brake pads. Ceramic or semi-metallic are the ways to go. You could open up a whole other thread on the types and brands, but pretty much anything on RockAuto.com will work just fine.

If you are looking for advice on brake pads and rotors, I suggest you do a little searching on the forums here. There must be a half a dozen threads already devoted to the opinions of each type.

Good luck!

·
Registered
101 Posts
I did my brakes and rotors for 70 with coupons tho - very easy to do and get some brake cleaner and clean the calipers if you can and grease the pins up too.

On my caliper pins, the threads were all screwed up and I had to get new pins and sleeves which cost me like 10 bucks extra. but my brakes are working so much better now. No more shaking when hitting the brakes. YAY!

·
Premium Member
1,958 Posts
QUOTE (sable23 @ May 22 2010, 09:57 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=806179
holy crap i spent 350 to upgrade my front brakes (rotors/pads/caliper brackets) and to do a rear disc swap (calipers/rotors/pads/cables/backing plates/bearings) though i did all the work myself and get a discount on parts. i have never heard of a 400 front brake job (for just pads and rotors anyway)... shouldnt take more than half an hour per side they are pretty easy.

actually i was just looking on NAPA's website and you should be able to get the equivalent of what they were offering to put on your car for under 100
plus say you pay for 2 hours of labor @ about 70 dollars an hour thats only 240 total[/b]
:werd: I spent less than that on Cobra calipers, brackets, pads and Rotors

·
Registered
68 Posts
I spent a lil' more on my front brakes last weekend than some of what the others have quoted. I was more in the range of $165 for rotors and ceramic pads. Though, I did go top of the line. The rotors were $52.00, each from Napa and were the best ones they carried. The pads were $54 from Autozone and were the best ceramic pads they carried.

My days of buying $26 rotors form Autozone are over - they warp way too easily. Hopefully, the rotors from Napa will hold me out a bit longer.

Meineke has always had a reputation for "up-selling" when one takes their car in for service. It's probably been 24+ years since I've stepped foot in a Meineke shop.

·
Premium Member
1,958 Posts
QUOTE (t2t @ May 26 2010, 11:42 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=806994
I spent a lil' more on my front brakes last weekend than some of what the others have quoted. I was more in the range of $165 for rotors and ceramic pads. Though, I did go top of the line. The rotors were $52.00, each from Napa and were the best ones they carried. The pads were $54 from Autozone and were the best ceramic pads they carried.

My days of buying $26 rotors form Autozone are over - they warp way too easily. Hopefully, the rotors from Napa will hold me out a bit longer.

Meineke has always had a reputation for "up-selling" when one takes their car in for service. It's probably been 24+ years since I've stepped foot in a Meineke shop.[/b]
Or you are over tightening your wheels.

·
Registered
31 Posts
The do-it-yourself option is the way to go - it's really not very difficult. I did mine for the first time a few weeks ago for about $150 when all was said and done. I got the Duralast Cmax pads and second-best rotors from Autozone, because I'd seen several people on these forums say good things about them. The pads are great, and the rotors are shiny, but I'm getting some vibration when braking with certain amounts of pressure at interstate speed. Probably going to take the rotors in and get them replaced on warranty this weekend.

Especially if you have the plastic wheel covers, make sure you get ceramic pads (that's what your car came with). Even the ceramic will eventually discolor the wheel covers, but it takes a lot longer.

Also, careful with those caliper piston bolts. If you haven't used a torque wrench before, practice on the lug nuts before you take your wheels off. I had to replace the caliper pistons (~$10/pair) because I didn't realize I had passed the torque setting on the wrench when tightening them.

The work is also more pleasant if you have someone to talk to and hold things while you're working.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts