Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Just tried a 30 mm socket by hand on the front driveshaft hub nut and what I found was some play on the 'flats'. Tried a 29 mm and it wouldn't fit.

Is this bit of play normal with the 30 mm? I do not want a stripped hub nut while breaking it free with cheater bar. :(

Thanks!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
30mm will have slight play but it's what I've used to replace 1 axle, and 4 wheel bearings with no inherent issues or stripping.

Thanks! That's a relief.

Is a plain 30 mm deep socket well enough for the job? There are sockets designed just for this nut, I see, and I wonder if they perform better or more safely.

vvv Tool loaner kit (which I missed when I got the 9-pc axle loaner socket set!)
http://s7d5.scene7.com/is/image/CanadianTire/1250020_1?wid=225&hei=225

·
Registered
6,869 Posts
I have used a cheap 30mm impact socket for my axles. It has a little play but works. Wirebrush the threads and apply penetrating oil to easy removal. The nut is a crushed locknut type so it will be tight all the way off.

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
Hi,

Just tried a 30 mm socket by hand on the front driveshaft hub nut and what I found was some play on the 'flats'. Tried a 29 mm and it wouldn't fit.

Is this bit of play normal with the 30 mm? I do not want a stripped hub nut while breaking it free with cheater bar. :(

Thanks!
Just adding to others, the nut is 29.5 mm and with 6 point socket fits just as needed. 30 mm = 1.181 1-3/16 = 1.186.
And if I do not have a 200# torque wrench, I use a breaker bar and tape a distance and stand on that mark. I am 200# so 10"=167: 11" = 183: 12" = 200. Shade tree torque wrench. :lol2:
Best of luck.
-chart-

Attachments

·
Registered
797 Posts
When it comes to larger nut sizes it gets harder to damage them with a looser fitting sockets. People use the 1 3/16 all the time on 30 mm hex bolts. Use a 6 point socket and you should be fine. Some higher quality socket are designed to engage further away from the hex corners and that may also be a factor. You can see they are relieved in the corners. If you feel it is very loose perhaps your socket is worn or it may be a cheap socket that was not made to tighter tolerances and is not relieved in the corners.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks everyone!

My home project was waylaid by seized bolt after seized nut after seized bolt after seized nut. Had to concede, put it all back together, and go to the mech.

Mr. Mech kindly busted off OE wheel bearings, OE tie rod inners/outers, OE ball joints, and OE ABS sensors replacing all for ... call it three bills. :dunno:

I can rip out and replace those OE crummy plastic sway bar links myself tho. Car now REEKS of PB! :lol2:

Thanks again for always excellent info!

·
Registered
41 Posts
If you got a shop close by, drive down and have them break them loose, then tighten them up some. Those impacts that strip your lug nuts are good for something haha.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts