Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
3,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Autoblog article

For those who hate having to read linked webpages, I'll summarize; a chain of auto parts stores in Pennsylvania called Frank's Auto Supply is suing Ford Motor Co. for trademark infringment because of their recently launched TV ad campaign for the 2010 Fusion that uses the phrase "We Speak Car". Apparently, the ads that began airing March 2nd infringed on the trademark that Frank registered for the slogan on March 26th. :huh: If you look at his company's website, it displays the offending phrase only once, in a small box near one side of the page. How is this possibly a serious tradmark-infringment case, assuming he had a valid one to begin with? I think it makes about as much sense as if I registered a trademark for the word "Midwest" because it's on my car's TCCA window sticker, and then sue everyone else here who belongs to that chapter for having my off-limits word displayed on their cars. WTF!?!? This is like the McDonald's coffee BS all over again.

·
Premium Member
1,306 Posts
its a frivolous lawsuit if the timing is as you say. It'll be thrown out even before the two parties get in front of the judge.

·
Premium Member
1,834 Posts
Just for shits and giggles, I went to their website, and emailed that dealer or whatever and said that I will never buy a part for my car because of what they are doing. That and their tip thing on the main page says, "Using the wrong light bulb will cause your check engine light to come on" Bullshit. I've used wrong light bulbs in cars before, mainly because I didn't feel like paying for the right one when I had another laying around. They work, that's all that mattered. Maybe some fancier cars can tell.

Shoulda trademarked their slogan if they wanted to keep it. Wonder if I will get a reply :)

·
Premium Member
2,073 Posts
Woo! The company is down and used a word we used once, lets kick them in the balls a few times!

Woo! I cant drive or check my tires and I rolled my SUV! Its fords fault for not making the car retard-proof!

·
Banned
3,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
QUOTE (animex2 @ Apr 5 2009, 05:41 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=715354
Woo! The company is down and used a word we used once, lets kick them in the balls a few times!

Woo! I cant drive or check my tires and I rolled my SUV! Its fords fault for not making the car retard-proof![/b]
Unfortunately true, as far as our civil court system is concerned. Consumer products have to be idiot-proof for the manufacturers to be impervious to stupid-ass lawsuits, but product testers, engineers and the public still underestimate the determination and resourcefulness of your average idiot. If they can manage to find a way to screw up while using a good product, then ****, of course they'll do it! And then they'll sue. And we'll get to laugh some more.

Side note- When I bought the Ford Accessories floormats for my car, the came in a box with the four mats and a double-sided instruction sheet showing the steps for correct installation. :huh: They're floormats! You pull out the old ones, and stick the new ones under your feet! Completely screw-up proof, or so I used to believe.

·
Premium Member
1,834 Posts
When the hell did anyone need instructions to install floor mats?

People piss me off. Why everything has a ###### warning on it. Our 92 Ranger XLT, had no warnings on it. Our 05 Ranger... "Careful, do not take high speed turns, it could cause a rollover" Hey! NO ****! Kind of a common thing with a vehicle that is higher up. Ah well, people will be stupid :(

·
Registered
119 Posts
QUOTE (Brian_05_SEL @ Apr 5 2009, 01:23 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=715392
QUOTE (animex2 @ Apr 5 2009, 05:41 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=715354

Woo! I cant drive or check my tires and I rolled my SUV! Its fords fault for not making the car retard-proof![/b]
Unfortunately true, as far as our civil court system is concerned. Consumer products have to be idiot-proof for the manufacturers to be impervious to stupid-ass lawsuits, but product testers, engineers and the public still underestimate the determination and resourcefulness of your average idiot. If they can manage to find a way to screw up while using a good product, then ****, of course they'll do it! And then they'll sue. And we'll get to laugh some more.

Side note- When I bought the Ford Accessories floormats for my car, the came in a box with the four mats and a double-sided instruction sheet showing the steps for correct installation. :huh: They're floormats! You pull out the old ones, and stick the new ones under your feet! Completely screw-up proof, or so I used to believe.
[/b][/quote]
So that's how you do it!!! :eek: I'm gonna write this down. Hold on. :lol2:

·
Registered
119 Posts
Well, honestly. This is, imo, some failing companies lucky break to sue Ford. That is all it is anymore, sue-happy. It is so pathetic. Like the fact that there is now a POP TART setting on a certain toaster because somebody BURNT THEIR POPTARTS and thought it would be a good idea to sue the toaster manufacturer for burning their Pop Tarts and not following the instructions on the box.

PEOPLE MAKE ME ANGRY!!!! :curse: :angry:

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
QUOTE (rambuck @ Apr 5 2009, 05:18 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=715517
Well, honestly. This is, imo, some failing companies lucky break to sue Ford. That is all it is anymore, sue-happy. It is so pathetic. Like the fact that there is now a POP TART setting on a certain toaster because somebody BURNT THEIR POPTARTS and thought it would be a good idea to sue the toaster manufacturer for burning their Pop Tarts and not following the instructions on the box.

PEOPLE MAKE ME ANGRY!!!! :curse: :angry:[/b]
I had to Google this. I've never heard of that before! I found this:

http://www.pmichaud.com/toast/
http://www-personal.umich.edu/~gmbrown/tart/

Didn't find the toaster in question with a Pop Tart setting though. My sister could use one of those.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
This makes me think of the South Park episode on season 10, Sexual Harassment Panda, everybody sues everybody. It's sad to see people make a mockery out of our justice system. Like the fat man who sued some fast food chains for making him fat. Anybody with common sense should know a diet of cheeseburgers and fries DO make you fat. Sue McDonalds over hot coffee? Isn't it supposed to be hot?

·
Registered
119 Posts
QUOTE (Qwertz9586 @ Apr 6 2009, 01:26 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=715597
QUOTE (rambuck @ Apr 5 2009, 05:18 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=715517

PEOPLE MAKE ME ANGRY!!!! :curse: :angry:[/b]
I had to Google this. I've never heard of that before! I found this:

http://www.pmichaud.com/toast/
http://www-personal.umich.edu/~gmbrown/tart/

Didn't find the toaster in question with a Pop Tart setting though. My sister could use one of those.
[/b][/quote]
I honestly would love to know that my Pop Tarts are now capable of combustion. That is kinda cool...until I need a new toaster. :lol2:

But I don't remember where I heard about that lawsuit. And the toaster was available at like WalMart and Super Target for a long time.

·
Premium Member
10,632 Posts
QUOTE (TaurusKev @ Apr 5 2009, 01:03 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=715335
Just for shits and giggles, I went to their website, and emailed that dealer or whatever and said that I will never buy a part for my car because of what they are doing. That and their tip thing on the main page says, "Using the wrong light bulb will cause your check engine light to come on" Bullshit. I've used wrong light bulbs in cars before, mainly because I didn't feel like paying for the right one when I had another laying around. They work, that's all that mattered. Maybe some fancier cars can tell.

Shoulda trademarked their slogan if they wanted to keep it. Wonder if I will get a reply :)[/b]
I was already ahead of you. About 2 days before this post was posted I went to the site and told them what I thought about their stupid-ass lawsuit. I've never had a reply email back from the company.

·
Banned
3,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
QUOTE (animex2 @ Apr 6 2009, 08:01 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=715827
QUOTE (TaurusDuo0102 @ Apr 6 2009, 02:57 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=715737
Thats total BS, by the way uniontown pa is only a half hour from me.......[/b]
go and pay them a visit :salute:
[/b][/quote]

Yes, go in and scout that business for the rest of us. I'd like to know how well-stocked they are, and with how much parts variety. And if it's not too much trouble, look around for whether they actually have "we speak car" written or signposted anywhere on the premises. One little footnote on their crappy website does not a trademarked "proprietary slogan" make.
Sorry, but when I see the need to defend Ford from all those Ford-haters in the world, I can get kinda militant about it.

:minigunner:
TAKE THIS, FRANK'S AUTO SUPPLY! JUST FILE FOR CHAPTER 11, CRAM IT UP YOUR COLLECTIVE ASSES & THEN GO AND BEG CONGRESS FOR A NO-STRINGS BAILOUT LIKE GM, YOU BASTARDS!

See? Now I feel much better. I'd recommend doing that at least once a day until Frank's lawsuit gets tossed.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts