Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

161 - 180 of 194 Posts

·
Gen 5/6 Forum Moderator
3,017 Posts
FORScan cannot write to the car, as sousa632 has mentioned. It will send commands, but is not designed to modify modules.

I spoke to the dev team about at least programming ABD and it is quite complicated a feat to accomplish. There is software out there that does, but itself runs several hundred dollars.

·
Registered
39 Posts
This is pretty interesting, does it read transmission and SRS codes? I have an iphone I'd like to use to read trouble codes. I've been using an innova obd2 scanner for the last 3 years but I figure that HAS to be outdated now. With technology what it is we should have a way to read all the codes for pretty cheap. Heck obd2 is almost obsolete!

·
Gen 5/6 Forum Moderator
3,017 Posts
Yes, it will. But you may need to modify your ELM327 adapter pins to work on MS-CAN.

Sam sells such adapters prefabricated, if you so desire.

·
Registered
64 Posts
FORScan cannot write to the car, as sousa632 has mentioned. It will send commands, but is not designed to modify modules.

I spoke to the dev team about at least programming ABD and it is quite complicated a feat to accomplish. There is software out there that does, but itself runs several hundred dollars.
It has to write something to program new keys into the system.

·
Gen 5/6 Forum Moderator
3,017 Posts
It has to write something to program new keys into the system.
It is placing the car into a "learn" mode to inhale the IDs of the new keys more than anything. Again, it is sending commands. Unless I've completely misunderstood the FORScan role in PATS, but I don't think I have. It is triggering a function previously only available in dealer or high-end locksmithing tools.

·
Registered
64 Posts
So to do that, it needs hardware capable of sending data to the vehicle, if only to activate built in routines.

What commonly available OBD 2 devices can do that?

I'd be happy right now with a cheap Bluetooth dongle that actually works with OBD2. I've bought, and received refunds on, two that claimed to support all OBD2 and CAN but apparently only work on 2005 and up. Neither worked on the 2004 Dakota I had or my 97 Taurus or a couple of 98 Mountaineers.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
I have bought three ELM327 clones from eBay and all worked on my 96 Sable, 01 Sable and 01 Explorer. Even on a 00 Sonata.
All are reporting that have firmware "Ver 1.5" and they are not supporting CAN in the form they are (without manual switch mod). However thay can access the PATS, ABS, GEM modules...
I have give two away to friends.

I guess is about luck too? Now I am waiting to test another one, with power off button, is slowly coming from China :)

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Forscan does not WRITE programs. It's for diagnostics.
Or better explained, Forscan basically can only send a "request" to the PCM like "Hey Mr PCM, would you be nice to turn ON this bit?" and PCM accepts that request or not.
You cannot flash a new software or modify bits that are protected by some kind of "access code".

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have bought three ELM327 clones from eBay and all worked on my 96 Sable, 01 Sable and 01 Explorer. Even on a 00 Sonata.
All are reporting that have firmware "Ver 1.5" and they are not supporting CAN in the form they are (without manual switch mod). However thay can access the PATS, ABS, GEM modules...
I have give two away to friends.

I guess is about luck too? Now I am waiting to test another one, with power off button, is slowly coming from China :)
What eBay seller(s) did you get them from? Are they wireless? I have a USB ELM327 clone which does work with OBD2 but I doubt it would work with USB OTG on my phone.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Question.

I made a mistake by resetting DTC on accident.
Was hooked up to laptop and hate using touchpad. Anyway the pointer got away from me and I click reset DTC.
I was needing to read codes and before I could save the log or even get a glimpse at the codes it was all gone.
So my question is how long before the codes with be available again.

·
Registered
64 Posts
If it's a real, persistent problem you should get the codes back real soon.

Sometimes an O2 sensor that's just on the edge can take a while to cause a code to set, or can drift back to proper operation and cause the current and pending codes for it to go away. One of them on my 1998 Mountaineer is doing that, and it's a big pain in the backside to change.

I once had a 1998 Chrysler Sebring convertible with 2.5L V6 that popped up with a misfire code on cylinder 5. Not wanting to have to remove the intake manifold to get at the rear plugs I dumped a can of Seafoam into the tank, erased the codes and it never came back. Still ran just fine. :)

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
I was needing to read codes and before I could save the log or even get a glimpse at the codes it was all gone.
I think it might be still in the log. See in the folder "Users/Your_name/AppData/Roamning/forscan/log". You need to have "show hidden folders" option active to see the AppData folder.

·
Registered
39 Posts
My experience so far, if its an electrical problem, broken wire or open circuit from faulty sensor, it will come back immediately, within a minute or two. If it's a mechanical issue it may take several engine revolutions, up to hours worth of engine running to get the code back, and some mechanical issue codes will be intermittent and not save to a log, so they only come up while the vehicle is acting up. Those are the hard ones to diagnose.

I ordered a wifi eml327 adapter from ebay

http://m.ebay.com/itm/Mini-ELM327-Wi-Fi-OBD2-OBDII-WiFi-For-iPhone-Car-Diagnostic-Interface-Scanner-/121652439423?txnId=1536075778002

From seller: amyli2008

It's supposed to be in within a week or so, hopefully I can get everything figured out and working with my iPhone.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Hey lots of info here, i finally skimmed through it all. I was going to post this on my other thread but probably better to keep it here. So quickly i use a mac for everyday and i have an htc phone and a regular pc inside the house. I bought the elm327 wifi from ebay came from china for $13.00 and free shipping awesome. The listing said was for mac but turns out the software included with the cd was for iphone ipad windows and android. Went through all the free and trial versons of software for mac and only left with one survivor. Its called OBD Auto Doctor and is a trial but gives codes and can clear the codes, battery voltage, engine coolant temperature, rpms and some other stuff so good enough for now. My htc phone i went through them all and the best was Piston for Android. Also Auto Diagnosis Lite, OBD2 Codes, OBD Codes and DTCS Fix. That whats left out of about 30 i tried. One thing nobody has mentioned is when installing these apps a lot of them ask for permission to stuff on your phone like identity, photos, phone id, serial numbers and on and on which i dont want anyone to have access to this obviously and i think they make these apps to hack into your phone so be aware when giving access. It should only ask for maybe GPS and Bluetooth which is all it should need to work. I will eventually try Forscan in the future if i need more detailed reports and tests but this works great for me now. My latest code was p1506 i believe which was idle overspeed error so i turned that screw back down manually and cleared the code yesterday so lets see if anything else comes back. Overall this elm327 is awesome lol tnx all!

Oh ya i have a Torque Pro.apk file which was a b... to install for htc android, i had to put the file up on one of my websites then download it through google on my phone but it seemed to be one of the better ones for detailed info. I ended up uninstalling it today because it was one of the ones that asked for permission to all my identity and photos and about 10 other things. If i need more detailed info in the future i have it in my downloads now on my phone and i can always reinstall it temporarily to get the job done!

i did try using Sync Manager for HTC to install the app from my computer to the phone but there was no option for that in the HTC SYNC software , maybe its on the newer phones and software that has that in the options, i saw a screenshot of it somewhere on the net. It had an extra option that said Install Apps or something like that.

Another oh ya lol, if you have the key forward the headlights turn on in my car anyways didnt realize that in the daytime had to boost my battery and didnt understand why until now, nightime.;)

·
Registered
134 Posts
FORScan for 2004 Taurus
I’m trying to use FORScan for the first time. I downloaded it about 6 months ago while running Windows 7 but I never used it. Now I have updated to Windows 10. I’m using FORScan 2.2.11. beta. The “Demo” mode works.
I’m trying to connect with a cheap Ebay ELM327 cable. My computer recognizes that it has something plugged into the USB port and the ELM connection has a series of lights which seem to work.
When I plug in to the OBD connection in the car, turn on the ignition and select the “connect” icon I get an instruction box; “Ignition in ON position, car is not moving etc” which I accept then I get:
“Error – No ELM found – Please check connection and try again”
1. Do you think Windows 10 could be my problem?
2. Do you think my cheap cable could be my problem?
(My other scanner is working fine)

Any advice is appreciated. And if I need a new cable, a specific recommendation, compatible with FORScan and my Taurus would be very helpful. John Kenneth

·
Registered
64 Posts
It probably has a clone of an FTDI USB to RS232 chip. Search for FTDI usb to serial Windows 10 and you'll find what you need. Do make sure to get the latest drivers.

A while back, FTDI decided to fight the copies of their chips by having the driver brick the clones, permanently. Fortunately they relented and took that "feature" out of the driver.

I use an old laptop with Windows XP and an old ELM327 clone in a silver, metal box. Works just fine with FORScan to program new keys.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Yes, I selected FDTI for the connection in FORScan.
So I need to buy a new ELM327 cable?
The cable I have came with software from ScanTool.net but that doesn't work either. The software is dated 2006 !!
Seems like it is a legitimate site but there is no free upgrade and a download is quite expensive besides, I don't need software.

Case of cheap Chinese cable not being a good choice.
I found a site called CarPlugs with an OBDlink cable for about $35
Do you think that will work? Anyone else have experience with this cable or another that will work?
Thanks for the response, John Kenneth

·
Gen 5/6 Forum Moderator
3,017 Posts
You just need to manually acquire the driver for the ELM327. For some reason it is not included in the default driver pack for Windows 10. I doubt you need to pick up a new cable--I have two very inexpensive ELM327 interfaces and both are fine given the right driver.

A way around is to interface with a WIFI ELM327 as opposed to a hard line connected one. At that point it is a networking component as opposed to a generic hardware device the OS has to interface with.

161 - 180 of 194 Posts
About this Discussion
193 Replies
49 Participants
timmytaurus
Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
A forum community dedicated to the Ford Taurus and SHO models, Mercury Sable and Lincoln MKS. Join the discussions on EcoBoost, aftermarket performance, and more!
Full Forum Listing