Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

141 - 160 of 194 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ubuntu opp sys

Download the FTDI drivers from here (don't even bother with the CD):

D2XX Direct Drivers

If that doesn't work, try the VCP driver.

If you still have trouble Sam or I can remote support you (PM to schedule).

I have a Ubuntu OS on my laptop,I put the disk in that came with my ElmScan5 ! I see some signs of the sys,but can't open them,any thoughts?
ElmScan5 USB cable! My laptop is using T mobile hot spot no land line,wonder if it made a diff?

·
Registered
358 Posts

Latest version has PATS support for our cars:D
Got my extended license, and tested on my '06 and it connects fine

Next key I buy, I'm gonna use FORScan to test instead of on board programming

This is superb for people like me who at one point only had one key, hence OBP being useless.

To recap

You can get the correct key blank for $19 from WolfSecurityHardware on eBay (he'll cut it from the code for $3), and FORScan will let you program it

This should put an end to the Tyranny of having to have these cars towed to a Ford dealer, and paying according prices :rolleyes2:

·
Has It Been That Long?
11,996 Posts
Yes, now that a thief can bypass PATS we should all feel safer. :rolleyes2:

·
Has It Been That Long?
11,996 Posts
But it is easier. It's not that hard to get a wax impression of the key, make a copy, and then grab the car one night. Obviously that's a little more involved than "take hammer to steering column" lol, but it does remove one line of defense.

·
Premium Member
2,571 Posts
The next awesome feature would turn off the flag for "require electronic key to start" I can say with certainty that my MY 2003 isn't a target for the would be theif. I jumped for joy when my 2004 legacy didn't really require an encoded key.

·
Has It Been That Long?
11,996 Posts
Depends on where you live. In AZ it's a short jaunt across the border and then the car is gone for good, so...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Has anyone tried the beta Android version? Any recommendations on the brand of elm327 android to buy? Thanks

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
WOW, android version !!! I have not tried it yet. I will soon.

I bought this guy a a year ago and it works good with Torque.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I got a BAFX ELM 327 Bluetooth OBD2 adapter from ebay for 23.99 w/free shipping, and can confirm that it works with FORScan. I used it to program 2 new PATS keys (I only had 1 key originally). Also used it to erase all known keys, and started from scratch to add all my keys back in, as there were 2 keys in memory that I did not have. However, I only did this AFTER adding my 2 new keys in, and confirming that they worked. It's not a good idea to erase all keys without having 2 to program immediately.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Can't recognise a ELM327 USB adapter

Connect a USB v1.5 ELM327 to the OBDII port and start FORScan. After about 30 seconds finds the adapter on COM7. Says trying to connect to vehicle.
After another 40 to 60 seconds says unable to connect to vehicle--turn ignition on. Ignition is on. Tried this with engine running. Same problem. Exit FORScan and start another ELM327 program. That program sees the adapter and supplies PID data about engine so I know the ELM327 adapter can connect to vehicle, a 2002 Ford Taurus with the DOHC or Duratec engine.

What am I doing wrong?

Want to add some PATS keys to the PCM. Tried version 2.2.1 and 2.2.5 with same results.

·
Administrator
14,337 Posts
Did you connect the Bluetooth adapter (ELM327) to your laptop?? Does your laptop have a Bluetooth adapter installed and configured? There's more to it than plug in the elm and open forscan.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Connected using a different USB adapter still cannot add a PATS key

Downloaded several versions of FORScan from FORScan.org website.
Ver 2.5 sees the ELM327 and the PATS key in the PCM but when I tried to program a key says I need an EXTENDED LICENSE. Downloaded other versions of FORScan and they see the modules but do not have the PATS key option displayed.

Obviously the other ELM327 is not functioning properly but what do I do to be able to add a PATS key with this program?

·
Administrator
14,337 Posts
Yes. Read and activate the pump. If it didn't read the module, it means tasty the module is bad which is common on Bulls.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Can this read and program ABS modules?
It scanned, read, & displayed my 99 Ranger ABS system trouble codes a couple of years ago & put me back on track getting that problem found & fixed. Don't know about it reprogramming that system, or if I'd want to mess with reprogramming the ABS, that might prove dangerous.
If you mean to program the ABS pump to turn it on so you can flush the system with new brake fluid, it seems we can, but better be careful not to run the fluid level low & get air in there.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I'm looking for something to do the programming required on a new ABS, not one taken off another vehicle. It's for a Ford truck but looks like the same ABS unit.

I've read that the vehicle specific data is supposed to be copied from the ABS module in the Ford then uploaded to the new unit. Not a bit interested in spending a couple grand on a Ford IDS/VCM2 device and software, and the dealers' service departments around here act like they know nothing at all about programming a new ABS unit. It's the same unit they use to program new keys and flash ECM updates and *everything else* on OBD2 and CAN systems.

I've read that dealer shops who do know which end of a ratchet is the handle charge between $250-$500 to do that, plus labor to install the new ABS unit.

But if I can do it myself with a reasonable priced OBD2 dongle and free software for Windows... :) Which OBD2 dongles support writing to the car systems?

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
I've not had to delve into my ABS systems that deep so far, so don't have any info to offer up. Maybe another member that does know, will enlighten us????

·
Administrator
14,337 Posts
I'm looking for something to do the programming required on a new ABS, not one taken off another vehicle. It's for a Ford truck but looks like the same ABS unit.

I've read that the vehicle specific data is supposed to be copied from the ABS module in the Ford then uploaded to the new unit. Not a bit interested in spending a couple grand on a Ford IDS/VCM2 device and software, and the dealers' service departments around here act like they know nothing at all about programming a new ABS unit. It's the same unit they use to program new keys and flash ECM updates and *everything else* on OBD2 and CAN systems.

I've read that dealer shops who do know which end of a ratchet is the handle charge between $250-$500 to do that, plus labor to install the new ABS unit.

But if I can do it myself with a reasonable priced OBD2 dongle and free software for Windows... :) Which OBD2 dongles support writing to the car systems?
Forscan does not WRITE programs. It's for diagnostics.

141 - 160 of 194 Posts
About this Discussion
193 Replies
49 Participants
timmytaurus
Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
A forum community dedicated to the Ford Taurus and SHO models, Mercury Sable and Lincoln MKS. Join the discussions on EcoBoost, aftermarket performance, and more!
Full Forum Listing