Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

41 - 60 of 194 Posts

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
I've not been able to determine how much memory is needed for the latest version of FORScan, as I've ordered an ELM 327 that'll be here Tue & am thinking about downloading it to an unused 4gb USB Flash Drive I have.

·
Registered
724 Posts
I bought that BAFX unit on Amazon that you mentioned, and I downloaded FORscan...I've never used a scan tool before, but I think I pretty much figured out how to use it. The one thing that I couldn't manage to figure out is how to compile or save data. Is there a way to show, for example, a chart of fuel trims over time and save that? All I found was that I could observe data while it was live, but I couldn't figure out how to actually view a representation of all of that data. I also couldn't figure out how to save it in a format that Windows or any program I have would know how to read. Help would be appreciated :)
Hi, sorry to be a "reposting nuisance," but I'm just wondering if anyone can please respond to this above question as it is a pretty simple question, and I don't know the answer...thanks !!

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
The 12/16/13 FORScan version 2.1.12 Beta file size is 8.762 KB & the whole program is 30.6 MB, so it isn't a large file that'll eat a lot of memory.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Recieved my LYL WiFi ELM327 v1.5 version yesterday & used the FORScan auto link feature, to connect it to my laptop to scan the 99 Ranger computer via WiFi, using the latest 2.1.12 version of FORScan released 12/16/13.

I have the ABS trouble light lit & trouble shooting had led to dead ends, so I needed to be able to access the ABS codes for more clues, which it did, while I sat in a warm house 40 ft away. It pulled an ABS code for my rear speed sensor circuit, along with 2 other Body codes & a P code that I didn't know I had!!!!

Haven't used it long enough to do any engine running graphing yet. It'll access a bunch of other systems, like listed here. FORScan documentation v1.3.x
As has been said, its a lot of scantool for around $20, so its affordable for a lot of self wrench turners & we should have one in our Electronic tool box imo.

The WiFi & Bluetooth wireless versions are a little more versatile & mobile to use, as we don't need the umbilical USB cable between the ELM & computer, or other display device.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I just received my ELM wifi unit but have not been able to get it hooked up to my pc. Any help would be appreciated.
Bob T
Grumpy Old Man

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
I just received my ELM wifi unit but have not been able to get it hooked up to my pc. Any help would be appreciated.
Bob T
Grumpy Old Man
See my post just above yours. Plug the ELM into your in cabin DLC & turn your ignition key to the run position, the ELM led's should light up/flash if its getting power. Then click on & check your PC wireless indicator symbol to determine that your PC wireless is turned on & check the wireless signal strength indicator, to see if it sees the ELM & its signal strength is at least good. Make sure you click on the ELM wireless symbol, so that your computer will connect with the ELM & it should say "connected" when it does. Then down load a software program that can talk to a Ford computer through the ELM327 & if it has an "auto connect" feature like the FOREScan program does, when your doing the program initiation, click on the programs auto connect button if it has that feature & it'll look for & load the ELM327 IP address, baud rate, ect & autmatically connect the computer to the ELM.
If you have to manually load the ELM IP into your software program, my WiFi ELM IP was 255.255.255.255 baud rate or port was 35000.
Let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
If your computer is connected to the internet via wireless WiFi, you'll have to remember to go to & connect to the ELM WiFi, or the computer won't see it until you do.

So if your switching back & forth between the ELM & internet while using WiFi on your computer, you'll have to Remember to also switch the WiFi connection back & forth between the ELM & computer!!!!!

Stumbled over that fact a number of times last night, while switching back & forth between the ELM & internet while trying to get connected to my WiFi ELM. The online posted IP address numbers were all wrong for my WiFi unit, so I too had some problems connecting at first.

I could see the ELM's LED's were working, so it was getting power, that the computers WiFi signal strength meter for the ELM was strong, so the ELM was broad casting, but it took me a while to wake up & wise up & clear all of the wrong online initiation IP numbers I was entering & go to & click on the FORScan program "auto initiation" feature & let the program query the ELM for its IP numbers, baud rate, ect & automatically enter them & then Remember to make sure I'd clicked on & reconnected the computer to the ELM & then it worked like a charm, connected the first time in the FORScan program auto mode!!!!!

·
Registered
409 Posts
folks, i need a little help with my scan tool --->ScanTool 425801 OBDLink SX OBD-II Scan Tool USB Interface with OBDwiz Diagnostic Software : Amazon.com : Automotive the odbwiz software i'm figuring out and liking it. the FORScan on the other hand i can't figure out. l was under the impression the tool in the link above will work with the FORScan. when i try to connect, it says i doesn't detect the ELM. so, will i need to buy one of the ELM scan tools? if so can someone recommend one please. best i can figure out the tool in the above link only communicates with the PCM and is pretty much a generic scan tool. which fits most all obd2 cars.Also it's my understanding that the ELM is a ford/mazda specific scan tool and can communicate with all the control modules BCM,ABS,AirBag, etc.....

so will someone help this country bumpkin out and point me in the right direction please.

·
Administrator
6,641 Posts
I bought that BAFX unit on Amazon that you mentioned, and I downloaded FORscan...I've never used a scan tool before, but I think I pretty much figured out how to use it. The one thing that I couldn't manage to figure out is how to compile or save data. Is there a way to show, for example, a chart of fuel trims over time and save that? All I found was that I could observe data while it was live, but I couldn't figure out how to actually view a representation of all of that data. I also couldn't figure out how to save it in a format that Windows or any program I have would know how to read. Help would be appreciated :)

There is a manual on FORScan.org that explains how to do all of this.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
409 Posts
folks, i need a little help with my scan tool --->ScanTool 425801 OBDLink SX OBD-II Scan Tool USB Interface with OBDwiz Diagnostic Software : Amazon.com : Automotive the odbwiz software i'm figuring out and liking it. the FORScan on the other hand i can't figure out. l was under the impression the tool in the link above will work with the FORScan. when i try to connect, it says i doesn't detect the ELM. so, will i need to buy one of the ELM scan tools? if so can someone recommend one please. best i can figure out the tool in the above link only communicates with the PCM and is pretty much a generic scan tool. which fits most all obd2 cars.Also it's my understanding that the ELM is a ford/mazda specific scan tool and can communicate with all the control modules BCM,ABS,AirBag, etc.....

so will someone help this country bumpkin out and point me in the right direction please.
anybody?

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
The ELM327 scantool needs to be plugged into the vehicles DLC & the vehicle ignition needs to be turned to the On/Run position & if the ELM is getting power, its LED indicators should light up. Then if your using an ELM327 with a corded usb connection to your computer, phone, ect, viewing device, it needs to be plugged in & you need to tell the viewing device what usb port your using, so it'll go there & look for the ELM327 input.

If your using FOREScan, to view the ELM's output, you need to go through FORScans setup page & tell the program your using a usb connected device so it can begin to look for it at the correct port in the correct way, ect. Then FOREScan should begin to querry the vehicles computer through the ELM & begin to extract & put up info on your viewing device. It might take a minute or so to begin doing that, so give it some time to do its thing.

If Forscan says it can't find the ELM, then again make sure the ELM is plugged in & its LED's are lit so you know its powered up, the vehicles ignition switch is turned to on/run & you've told the viewing device which port the usb connector is plugged into, so it knows where to look for the ELM output.

If your still having problems, FORScan is tweaked for Ford vehicles, so if your using FORScan to querry another make that uses a different communication format than Ford, you'll likely have some problems.

Most current ELM327's can read any manufacturs OBD-2 communication, but not all ELM software will work with all vehicles.

If your using the ELM on a Ford & using FORScan, make sure you've down loaded the latest version of FORScan, which of this date is version 2.1.12, on Dec/16/ 2013 & your download isn't corrupt for some reason & that you've not deleated any of its files.

A bunch of thoughts for pondering, let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
409 Posts
thanks paw paw, what you just explained is the way i was thinking it should work. unfortunately i'm a little thick skulled and need someone to walk me through it as you just did. i'm gonna get the newest ELM327 coming and will report back when i get it. thank you again!!!

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
FORScan will now support wireless ELM327, so we have more options when we purchase. I recently purchased the WiFi version ELM & as of Sep 2013 FORScan supports WiFi, so we don't need the umbilical USB cord connected model, so we can be more mobil while monitoring the vehicles computer output.

·
Registered
409 Posts

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
good to know, i have the newest of the FORScan and i'm gonna get the wifi ELM on the way tomorrow. Elm327 WIFI Wirless OBD2 Car Diagnostic Reader Scanner Scan Tool for Iphone iPad iOS PC : Amazon.com : Automotive <<<<<<<-----------would this be the unit you purchased?
Yup, thats the puppy!!!! Was able to access my Rangers ABS system to pull its trouble code, after my fruitless trouble shoot left me backed in a trouble shooting corner in need of additional info, so I decided to invest in this scantool as it'll operate on more than one of our viewing devices & over a rather long range. Hope to get the ABS system put right tomorrow or next day, so I can get the state inspection done & get er on the road again.
I've not had the time to play around with FORScans live data presentations yet, but the list puts my Actron CP9145 scantool abilities to shame, as it can't access the ABS, PATS, GEM, ect, ect!!!! So far I like the WiFi, as it let me sit in a warm house & scan the vehicles systems & view the fault codes found & their descriptions & likely cause!!!! We'll soon see how well it displays the live data feed.

Before you use yours, read through my above posts about how to plug & play the WiFi ELM & how to connect the computer to the ELM transmitter & let FORScan do its automatic set up to look for, connect to & log the ELM IP address so it can read the ELM data stream. Best to click the softwares auto mode & let it do its thing to connect to the ELM.
Let us know how your application goes.

·
Registered
409 Posts
will do paw! i got it on its way. i should have it by tuesday.

·
Administrator
14,337 Posts
FORScan will now support wireless ELM327, so we have more options when we purchase. I recently purchased the WiFi version ELM & as of Sep 2013 FORScan supports WiFi, so we don't need the umbilical USB cord connected model, so we can be more mobil while monitoring the vehicles computer output.
OR.... you can buy the bluetooth version of the ELM, use Torque on your phone, and use a bluetooth adapter(I bought one for $3 shipped on Ebay) and connect it to your laptop with ForScan. I have it set up both ways and it's a GREAT way to get data about your car.

·
Has It Been That Long?
11,996 Posts
OR.... you can buy the bluetooth version of the ELM, use Torque on your phone, and use a bluetooth adapter(I bought one for $3 shipped on Ebay) and connect it to your laptop with ForScan. I have it set up both ways and it's a GREAT way to get data about your car.
Torque doesn't exist on iOS, and you can't use cheapo Bluetooth ELM adapters on Apple devices, as they don't support the generic serial Bluetooth protocol. Apple folks need the WiFi adapters.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

41 - 60 of 194 Posts
About this Discussion
193 Replies
49 Participants
timmytaurus
Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
A forum community dedicated to the Ford Taurus and SHO models, Mercury Sable and Lincoln MKS. Join the discussions on EcoBoost, aftermarket performance, and more!
Full Forum Listing