Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

21 - 40 of 194 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Slight OT here, but have a question for the those with more scanning software knowledge as there is certainly a few of you and I trust many of your opinions here.

I love this software for my Fords, but was wondering if anyone knew or used a similar software package for GM, in particular Saturn that has similar advanced tests.

Thanks for your time.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Probably a dumb question, but how close to the car do you have to be to use the bluetooth elm327? My pc is blue tooth cable in the house.
Bob T

·
Administrator
14,337 Posts
I'm going to have to try this now........

I've had the brake light on my car cince I bought it(and the ABS light is burned out so I'm sure that's on as well). Yesterday I turned on my car and actually saw no brake light, and saw the traction control wheel for the first time! ........... till I put it in gear and started backing out of my driveway. I need to diagnose this to see if it's just a stupid wheel sensor, or if it's the actual pump control that's bad.

So my question is.... I have an ELM327 v 1.5 mini, which I have been using with my phone and Torque.... would that ELM and FORScan allow me to read those ABS codes?? Obviosly yes I will have to get a bluetooth adapter for my laptop because it does not have bluetooth in it(though I am working on a laptop for someone that does have bluetooth I can use :rolleyes2: )If so, this is going to make me a very happy man! It would be nice to have ABS and traction control through the winter :)

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
I will check with my laptop and report back...

LE: It works perfectly with the same generic ELM327 V1.5 mini. First you need to add/pair the device in your Bluetooth Devices menu.
Torque is small child, this program is super evolved! Is the first time I saw the PATS, ABS, VIN...

This is at the level of ScanXL ($90) plus the Ford add-on package ($90) plus their 'special' Bluetooth scanner ($49 regular, is free now)!
PS: I found out that I have a fault in the PATS - the hood switch! That explains the rattling inside my hood that I heard for several years :) No reader saw that untill now!

·
Premium Member
7,538 Posts
It should work with ABS codes John. Your car is pre-CAN, so you shouldn't have to modify it.

Again, FORScan is a huge bargain for what it does at the price of free!

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Is it true that supposedly the ELM327 adaptors ver 1.5 have CAN capability built-in (without the switch and wires hack)?
I have no means to test it, my newest Ford is 2001 model (or 2000 per fabrication I guess).

Attachments

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Anyone know if FORScan works with the Wifi version ELM327???

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Wooops, just looked on the FORScan page again & looks like I missed it last night, as its included in a number of upgrades & major bug fixes & WiFi support has been available since Sept-14-2013. What's new

·
Premium Member
2,571 Posts
I am looking far an elm327 to use with forscan. It's seems difficult to determine which product to purchase.
Are they any that people would say to not use? Like stay away from model xx xx from yyyy company?

Basing on price seems a little, inconclusive.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
507 Posts
Interesting but still a little fuzzy?

Where does one get a cable to go from the OBDII connector to my laptop USB port? Can I connect this to my ScanGauge II which has an RJ45 type of female port on it? I have an 05 Sable with the Duratec motor, so does this mean the software will not work with my engine? Any help would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
7,538 Posts
Any ELM327-compatible adapter should work (USB, Bluetooth, and now Wi-Fi). These things are all made in China really cheap (fly-by-night style), so good luck trying to find a company or brand associated with any of them. Sam and I have seen at least five different internal designs of adapters that all the same external appearance, so there are likely dozens of different electronics companies that are all making versions of the same thing. Companies over here just buy a bunch in bulk and import them. You just have to buy one and hope it works. If you buy the same product from the same company a month later there is no guarantee it was made by the same outfit in China (we have seen this).

If you want to buy a scan tool that comes with a warranty from a company you can actually contact, go with one of the OBDLink scan tools.

Where does one get a cable to go from the OBDII connector to my laptop USB port? Can I connect this to my ScanGauge II which has an RJ45 type of female port on it? I have an 05 Sable with the Duratec motor, so does this mean the software will not work with my engine? Any help would be appreciated.
Just buy a wired ELM327 scan tool. Search "ELM327 USB" on eBay or Amazon. If it's a Ford and it has OBD-II it will work with FORScan.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
I have bought the PLX Kiwi for $100. After a while, I sold it and got three ELM327 clones (v1.5) with the money - they all work on my Fords.

·
Registered
358 Posts
The most reliable and most seller backed of the Chinese ELM327's is on Amazon.com BAFX for $24.
Works well for me, and they stand behind them.
If you want access to more things through FORScan, you'll need something with the newer STN1110/1170 chipset such as a OBDLink SX or MX.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
I have seen Chinese clones like mine (v1.5) listed as 'CAN' compatible. I asked one seller on Amazon if is true and he said 'yes'.
Now... I need a FORD car with CAN to verify :) All my cars are too old.

·
Registered
724 Posts
I bought that BAFX unit on Amazon that you mentioned, and I downloaded FORscan...I've never used a scan tool before, but I think I pretty much figured out how to use it. The one thing that I couldn't manage to figure out is how to compile or save data. Is there a way to show, for example, a chart of fuel trims over time and save that? All I found was that I could observe data while it was live, but I couldn't figure out how to actually view a representation of all of that data. I also couldn't figure out how to save it in a format that Windows or any program I have would know how to read. Help would be appreciated :)

21 - 40 of 194 Posts
About this Discussion
193 Replies
49 Participants
timmytaurus
Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
A forum community dedicated to the Ford Taurus and SHO models, Mercury Sable and Lincoln MKS. Join the discussions on EcoBoost, aftermarket performance, and more!
Full Forum Listing