Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

181 - 194 of 194 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Make sure you're running it as Administrator

Simple right click when you go to start it if you don't change the shortcut properties.

Win10 and Win7 Pro x64 do things a bit differently.

BTW, ForScan has always been a "Beta" and can do a hell of a lot more if you register and get the free extended license, you can touch parts of the car that even a dealer can't touch without a Ford Support engineer issuing a one time special access code.

Check out the Focus and 2gFusion sites to see what all they've done with it.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Success – How I solved my ELM connection problems

When I am able to solve a problem with help from the forum I like to post a summary to try to help others with similar problems. Also, I'm aware that this repeats some of what Gulane has already shared. I did not have to do any of this as administrator.

It took several hours with many trips back and forth with my laptop from the car to my office. I did multiple things and I’m not sure which one or which combination actually solved my connection problem but if I had to do it again I would do it in this order::
Update FORScan software to the latest version.

2. Check other USB ports on your computer. I connected my ELM 327 clone cable to the USB port I usually use. The colored lights flashed and the computer recognized that it had a USB device connected. It just wouldn’t communicate with FORScan from that port. I connected to another USB port and it worked.
3. Go to this website:
How to Install ELM327 USB Cable on Windows and OBD2 Software | Car OBD Diagnostics, ECU Chip Tuning & Auto Repair Support
It is very well done and the instructions are crystal clear. Apparently there are known problems with chipsets in cheap Chinese cables like mine. These guys know what the problems are and how to fix them. I followed every step and downloaded every driver they recommended and it worked. Also worth noting, there is a recommended link to download a demo version of their TOAD software. The beauty of this is that it will check your ELM 327 connection. I actually felt bad using their advice to connect to FORScan. If I ever need other scanning software I will certainly go back to them.

Now I have to learn how to use FORScan. Go here for some excellent information about scanning software (Note, it’s the same guys): Reading Performance Information Data (PID) | Car OBD Diagnostics, ECU Chip Tuning & Auto Repair Support

Hope this helps, good luck, John Kenneth

·
Registered
94 Posts
I had a simple goal -
Wanted Forscan LIte for Android & OBD Auto Doctor to both run (not at the same time)
on my new to me Galaxy Tab A 7" with a -not Chinese- ELM327 & was willing to spend $$ to accomplish this

Based on this web page:
https://www.obdautodoctor.com/obd-adapters
which seemed to have a good summary of what's out there

I -foolishly- followed their recommendations
& bought A PLX KIWI-3 low energy bluetooth dongle

This worked great for OBD CAR Doctor (as advertised)
BUT as I found out digging through the Forscan user forums later--

KIWI3 is not supported by Forscan for Andoid

It supposedly works OK for Apple IOS
but that doesn't help me any

Now I have to return it for a refund
& have instead ordered a:

ODBLink MX Bluetooth (standard bluetooth not low energy)
There is so much mis-information out there
maybe this will help someone else.

here is the online review that sold me

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
So one has to buy the OBD2 module for $80 and the scantool.net software for another $80? I cursorily checked the software feature list. It cannot control PID, just read PID. I don't understand how $160 can be a good deal for a code reader?

·
Registered
94 Posts
You may be right - I never heard of scantool.net before / have not used it.

I was using forscan for windows ($ free $)
to get active control of the vent -and- purge valve solonoids (works great)

Although ODBAUTODR claims to be able to run the emissions diagnostic test
and in fact does have a software button built in to execute it,
they don't tell you How to get your engine computer into the proper state to allow it to run. (useless- don't bother spending $ on the windows version.)

I was more interested in using it for the mode-6 data function forscan doesn't support.
(Android version good enough for this)
That gives you the readiness state of All the on-board emissions watchdog tests
so you have some level of confidence your state inspection will actually pass.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Can Forscan update the software on the cars modules? My cars 10 years old and could use a update.
FORScan is diagnostic software, so, No it can't allow you to write to & update your vehicle computer/controllers programming, as these folks aren't affiliated with FMOCO.
Your favorite Dealer can check to see whats available & get you updated if need be.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Is this information still valid? Looking for a cheap but reliable scan option for at home instead of constantly running into town to get the codes checked at O'Reilly's and AutoZone. Plus I can only see the codes then, not "tinker" with the car to see where the problems are. Is the ELM327 still the recommended choice with the OP link for software or what are is the new things to get in this new 2019 year without having to spend over $100? I have an Samsung S9+ smart phone, android tablets, and a windows laptop at home so I'm good with the technology part.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
If you like doing your own diagnostics & turning your own wrenches, a good quality ELM scan tool & FORScan diagnostic software (that's tweaked for our Fords), running on the viewing device of our choice is a very good tool to have in our electronic toolbox, as it can access all of the vehicle computer/controllers for trouble code clues, or put up their live PID's in various forms for us to monitor.

Vendor BAFX a gets thumbs up on this & the FTE forum, for customer service with any operational questions, item problems, etc, so before purchase consider giving their customer service folks a call, tell them what equipt viewing device/s you want to use the ELM with & they can usually tell you if there is any compatibility problems.

They've been standing behind their products, so will be there if problems arise. This running support costs them some money, so their ELM may not be the lowest cost, but they do warranty it to work & have been around for some time & have backed up the warranty with replacements even though they didn't have too!!!

Some thoughts for consideration, let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
172 Posts
+1 for the BAFX ELM327 device, about $25.

Grab FORScan free for your laptop and $5.99 Torque Pro for Android.

Sent from some little thing I hear voices from.

·
Premium Member
2,571 Posts
If you don't want to mod in a switch for medium speed can bus, get the OBDLink MX for $89.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
154 Posts
It just recently saved me. Engine light came on and car barely running. I had a elm I bought on ebay for
i think $14 and forscan. The both can be alittle touchy. You have to download the drivers for the elm from one of the earlier posts, then, plug the elm into the laptop BEFORE plugging into car and let the laptop load it or something.

But this is what happen. Engine light on, car didn't even have enough power to get up to speed on freeway. No money to take to shop. Grabbed the elm and laptop with Forscan, plugged in, got something like "fuel rail sensor failure something failure. " Googled and got some really long winded 500 word explanations, utill at the end of one a guy said, "Loose gas cap."

Sure was, loose gas cap sets off pressure unequal between "Fuel rail" on engine, and the car computer puts all the injectors into some sort of "Limp mode" or default setting and car barely runs.

So, tighten cap, cleared code with forscan, and vrroom, car ran great!!! Now you know a shop would of gave some long winded explanation and charged me $400-500.

I had played for hours with elm and forscan before and it seemed to be touchy, and kinda useless once i got it working. But this time, looking at beautiful summer night at 7pm on a Friday, all the shops closed, and my $14 elm and free forscan saved the day. Drove to a nice dinner at a outdoor cafe with the money saved, with the sun roof open, beautiful night. Thats my story.

181 - 194 of 194 Posts
About this Discussion
193 Replies
49 Participants
timmytaurus
Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
A forum community dedicated to the Ford Taurus and SHO models, Mercury Sable and Lincoln MKS. Join the discussions on EcoBoost, aftermarket performance, and more!
Full Forum Listing